- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Orange Clove Pomander -Winter Craft
Easy winter crafts that are fun to create are pomander. Pomanders are a mixture of aromatics that were used to ward off unpleasant odors in the past. Today they’re used to add a rich aroma of cloves and spices to any winter area. Follow the instructions below to create an orange clove pomander to fill the winter air with the aroma of spices. Adult Supervision required.
Gather Your Supplies:
Masking tape (slightly larger than ribbon)
Fixative power (found in art stores)
Spices (ground cinnamon and nutmeg)
A glue gun
- Clean the citrus with a damp paper towel and then by wipe down using the essential oil.
- Take a strip of masking tape and wrap around the orange so it is divided into two four parts.
- Using a skewer, pierce the orange in the areas that are not tape. Spread the holes large enough to leave gaps between the cloves. The orange will shrink as it dries which will bring the clove closer together.
- Push the cloves in the holes.
- In a bowl combine the fixative power, ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix the ingredients and then roll the orange in the spices coating evenly.
- Place the orange in a paper bag and store in a dark place for about five weeks.
- Decorate the orange by wrapping ribbon over the masking tape and securing with glue.
- Leave some excess ribbon at the top to hang the pomander in a closed area such as a closet or in an opened area such as the kitchen.