- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Peace Sign Ornaments – Bead Craft
Many people like the peace sign pattern as it represents a desire to live in peace and harmony. Here is an easy peace sign craft beaded ornament that can be done for a 60’s-70’s/hippie theme party, Earth Day, or just for those who are a fan of unique peace signs and bead projects.
To make a peace sign beaded ornament, you will need to gather the following craft supplies:
- 2 pipe cleaner craft stems
- About 104 tri-beads (in the colors you prefer)
- 7” piece of clear nylon beading thread or other strong thread
- Scissors, or wire cutters
- Small pliers for bending craft stems (optional)
- Refer to photos in this hub for helpful guidance with the peace sign pattern.
1. To begin bead peace sign craft, take one craft stem, and make a bend about ¼” – ½” from the end in the shape of a hook. Now take the long portion of the stem and form into a full circle (about 9” around), while leaving enough on the other end to be able to bend through the center of the circle and a little beyond (about 3” in length).
2. You can choose craft beads for the peace sign decoration in all one color; use one color for the circular portion and the center portion in another color; or alternate multiple colors of beads.
I prefer using multiple colors of craft beads that are in the same color scheme, such as blues, reds, greens, etc. This sort of presents a tie-dye look for these bead ornaments. If you are using multi-colored beads, place the craft beads in the order that appeals most to you.
Feed about 70 tri-beads onto the chenille stem to fill along the circular portion. End beading for this step at the bend of the stem that will continue through the center.
3. Once you have completed adding the craft beads to the circular portion of the peace sign pattern, form it into a neat circle then wrap the hook end around the longer bend close to the beads. Using pliers or your fingers, wrap the hook end around the stick to secure the circle in place.
4-5. Align the remaining portion of the craft stem to make a straight line down through the inner center of the circle. Feed about 18 tri-beads along this line until the beads reach the opposite end of the circle of the peace sign craft.
Secure this center craft stick in between two of the craft beads along the end of the circle of the peace sign pattern. Wrap the end of the craft stick to secure the center line in place.
6. Take the last unused craft stick, which you will only use about 3”- 4” of. About 8 beads up along the center line of the peace sign craft place the middle portion of the new craft stem and wiggle it in between two beads.
Wrap the new craft stick around the center line until the sides of the new stem cross over each other to secure it in place, making a V like shape.
7. Feed on about 7 tri-beads on one side of the V form of the craft stick until it reaches the edge of the circle. Once filled, work the stem end in between two beads on the circle. Be sure to position this part at an angle to make a peace sign look, and wrap and secure the end of this stem around the circle stem.
Repeat for the other side.
8. Make a hanger for theses unique peace signs: Take the two ends of the 7” thread and tie them together to form a loop. Now wrap the thread in place around the top center portion of the beaded ornament. Now you have two loops on top, pull one loop through the other loop end and pull tightly in place to form a hanger for these easy handmade ornaments.
More Craft Hubs
- A Pretty Beaded Ornament Pattern for Snowflakes
This pattern for beaded ornament snowflakes is a great way to capture the delicate beauty of snowflakes that will shine from the Christmas lights.
- Candy Cane Crafts; a Sweet Beaded Ornament
A fun and easy candy cane crafts for all ages, this beaded candy cane pattern makes for delicious looking homemade Christmas ornaments that make a great addition to any Christmas tree.
- Crochet Wire Basket - Pattern
A pattern to make a small crochet wire basket.