Quick and Easy Free Tatted Earring Patterns
Tatting is the act of creating knotted lace using a shuttle or needle. The art form originated in the early 19th century, and was popular during the Victorian era. Today, tatting is relatively obscure, but is gaining in popularity thanks to the Internet. (For more information, check out Tatting 101.)
The lace was traditionally made to adorn handkerchiefs, pillowcases, doilies, and collars / cuffs, but has taken a new spin in the modern century. Although it is sometimes still used for its conventional means, tatting has been given a new life as jewelry, clothing, or other adornments. Additionally, modern tatted lace often features bright colors, which is a nice departure from tatting's humble all-white beginnings.
While some tatting patterns can be quite intricate and time consuming, patterns like the free earring patterns featured below work up pretty quickly. Aside from being quick and easy to make, tatted earrings make great gifts for friends and family.
Free Tatted Earring Patterns
- Tatted Hoop Earrings: This pattern involves making a circle of rings, which then slips over an existing pair of hoop earrings, giving you a pair of hoop earrings with tatted centers. Free PDF pattern.
- Valentine's Day Heart Earrings: These cute Valentine's heart earrings would look great with or without beads. The pattern is fairly easy, which makes it great for beginners, or those new to adding beads to tatting.
- Pointed Chain Tutorial: Although this is a tutorial on how to make pointed chains, earrings with pointed chain flowers would be super cute!
- Two-Colored Flower Earrings: These cute two-colored flower earrings are made using 2 shuttles, and a few beads. Using two colors like this is a great way to highlight different parts of patterns, like what you see here with the pink flowers and green stems
Do you know how to tat?
Using Motifs as Earrings
Another way to make cute tatted earrings is to find small motif patterns that you like, finding ways to turn that pattern into earrings somehow. If you get creative using chains, jump rings, or other means, you can turn any small tatting pattern into a cute pair of earrings.
- Snowflake Pattern: Just whip up a pair of snowflakes, and you have some easy, quick earrings.
- Beginner's Needle Tatting Motif: Turn this pattern sideways, connect the picots with a jump ring, and you've got an adorable pair of earrings. This cute, rectangular motif isn't just for needle tatters -- shuttle tatters can enjoy it as well.
These motif patterns are only the start. As long as you're creative, just about any small tatted motif could easily be turned into a great pair of earrings.