- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Revamp Your Planter Pot With Bathroom Tissue
Plastic planters are everywhere and pretty cheap to buy. Sometimes pretty cheap looking as well. I don't like the way they look and wondered how I can make mine look a little richer and knew the best way was to change that smooth plastic texture and make it look like stone.
Big Lots is probably one of my all time favorite stores for the best deal in home goods. I bought this large planter for about $6 for my Aloe Vera plants, which I keep indoors. But that terracotta color wasn't working for me. I needed something in a plum tone.
Here's how I did it in 8 easy steps.
WHAT YOU NEED
1. Plastic Planter pot
2. Acrylic paint
3. Thick, wide wall paint brush
4. Bathroom tissue
5. Acrylic paint sealant
1. Place your planter pot on your clean workspace and with black acrylic paint, vertically paint a thick stripe about the width of a bathroom tissue square.
2. Place tissue directly on wet paint and do this all around the pot until covered with tissue.
TIP: If it wrinkles, it's better. You want the tissue to change the texture of the smooth plastic.
3. Wet your brush and put on another layer of tissue, this time make it wrinkle more. If it's too smooth, keep applying tissues until you achieve the right texture. I applied 3 layers but you may need more.
4. With the tip of your brush, dip into the red paint and using only the bristles, poke at the pot until it's covered in blue. Be gentle. You don't want to break the tissue, which is still tender.
5.Do the same using blue, carefully mixing the colors as you go. You will see the plum tone showing through.
6. Keep doing this until the tone is mostly even.
7. Using the gold paint, dip the bristles of your brush and poke again all around but not too much. This is only for highlighting affects.
TIP: If you don't have gold, you can use silver or gray or even white. But make sure you dull the white so it's not so light.
8. Finally, spray the sealant on. Make sure you're outside or in a well ventilated area. This should dry in a couple of hours. Follow instructions on the can.