- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Using paper doilies to make a snowman!
Have you ever noticed that some paper doilies look just like snowflakes?
That inspired me to design this snowman craft. When it's too cold to play outside in the snow, kids will love creating this snowman that never melts.
What you'll need
- one sheet of dark blue construction paper 45 cm x 60 cm (18 in x 24 in)
- a paper doily 20 cm (8 in) diameter
- a paper doily 15 cm (6 in) in diameter
- construction paper of different colours of your choice
- one pipe cleaner, colour of your choice (optional)
- thick white glue
- white paint
- paper doilies
How to proceed
- Place the blue construction paper vertically and paint a strip of white paint at the bottom of the construction paper to represent snow. Let dry.
- Place both doilies on the construction paper, the largest of the two doilies on top of the white paint and the other one on top of the first.
- Cut strips of brown construction paper to represent the branches (arms) and slide them partially under the large doily.
- Place the scarf (pattern B) between the two doilies.
- Place the nose (pattern A) on the smaller doily.
- Cut circles out of black construction paper for eyes and buttons. Put them in place on the snowman.
- On the head, you can choose to put a hat, or a tuque, or earmuffs with a piece of pipe cleaner.
- You can also replace the branches with mittens (pattern C).
- Make snowflakes by cutting circles from the edge of a paper doily.
- When you are satisfied with your arrangement, glue everything in place with white glue.
- Let dry.