Storage Solutions For Knitters
Getting Started -Needle And Yarn Organization
AS an avid knitter, I know how easy to collect skeins of yarn and accessories. I am always on the lookout for my yarn needles ! But once I got organized, I found more time to do the things that I loved most-knitting.
I wish that I could tell you, here is the one system that is right for you. But in fact, there is no one right system. The only system that works is the one that is right for the amount of yarn, books and needles that you have. And it must fit into the space that you have for it.
It may take some experimentation to figure out the right system for you.
Another consideration is how you will organize your stuff, once you get the system that is right for you. If you only deal with one type of wool, then you can just store by color.
Another type of storage idea is to store by manufacturer. You could also store them by type of wool.
Once you figure it all out, you will be able to take credit for a job well done.
Yarn Storage Tips To Get You Started
- If you are storing your yarn as balls, safety pin the wrapper with all the information on the ball. That way you can always refer to it if you need to.
- If you tend to knit in the living room as I do, get an ottoman with a lid, It is perfect for storing project you are working on as well as other yarn.
- When you are done with a project, staple one of the yarn wrappers to the page, That way you will know the yarn you used
Step One Destash Or Use It
If you are not planning to use some of the yarn that you have. Get rid of it. Donate it to charity or have a yarn swap party. Or make small projects with it like booties or wash cloths
DIY Yarn Center
1 large rectangular plastic bucket
6 or more empty plastic disinfectant wipe containers
- Complely wash and dry the plastic disinfectant container
- Decorate the container with paper or paint as desired
- Place the skein in the container
- Take one end of the skein and wind it through the notch that normally holds the disinfectant sheet
- Label the container with the skein information.
- Store in the plastic bucket
Coffee Can Yarn Storage
Step Two-Organize Your Projects
Gather all the things that you are working on. Make a list of those projects and any others that you plan to work on. Place the pattern and the yarn for the project in a bin, box or some other type of container
Recycled Yarn Containers
There are so many items around your home that you can use to recyle for your yarn organization. Here are just a few ideas:
- Use an extra colander. Thread the yarn through the colander holes to keep it from getting tangles
- Use an old baby wipes container
- Purchase a large plastic bin with a tight fitting lid. (if you get one with a handle, it is easy to tote around)
- Use under the bed storage units
- Use a hanging closet cubby
- Use a hanging shoe holder for your skeins
- Use woven baskets mounted on a wall
- A galvanized bucket is perfect for holding yarn or needles
- Use egg boxes from your grocery to store small balls of yarn, They will stack nicely
- Use wooden clothes pins to store bits of yarn. Wrap the yarn around the clothes pin. Write the name of the yarn on the end of the pin. Store them in a basket or a box.
- Store skeins upright in an old dresser drawer
- Use an old desk or hutch to store yarn and knitting materials
- Use an Ikea rolling cart
- Use an expanding wooden rack to store skeins of yarn
- Use an old crib rail. Set it upright and use dowels to hold the yarn
- Take a clean 2 liter soda bottle.Use a hook to pull one end of the yarn out of the top.
Step Three-Sort Through The Rest Of The Yarn
Decide what works for you. Sort by color, by yarn weight, by fiber type, or by brand. Select your storage type and get your yarn sorted and stored.
More Knitting Storage Ideas
- Yarn Storage Box | FaveCrafts.com
Decoupage enthusiast Amy Anderson uses fabric to cover a wood storage box for keeping yarn. She coordinates the cute pear fabric with acrylic paint on the borders and top.
- DIY Yarn Storage - All About Ami
Learn how to create a gorgeous diamond display and storage for your yarn with corrugated plastic inspired by the Lion Brand Yarn Studio! This DIY Yarn Storage is inexpensive to create and displays your yarn so beautifully!
- Tangle Free Yarn Storage: Quick and Easy DIY - Winding Road Crochet
This quick and easy DIY solution for tangle free yarn storage is a life saver. Keep your skeins of yarn unraveling with the DIY Skein savers.
Knitting Storage You May Not Have Thought About
- Cardboard magazine holders on shelves. If you have several balls in the same color, kind, or dye
- An accordian wine rack
- Use a vintage suitcase to store upright skeins of yarn
- Dollar store drinking cup-Holds one skein upright. Feed one end through hole
- Stacked PVC pipe
- Use a CD rack to hold your yarn
- Use wooden crates stacked
- Use stacked cube system
- Plastic storage bins
- Use a bookcase
- In a large, decorative wine rack
- In baskets, bowls and large vases
- In laundry hampers
Step Four- Your Knitting Needles
Sort through your knitting needles. Take pairs of needles and attach them together with rubber bands.decide on a storage system and get them stored.
Step Five-Your Books And Patterns
Sort through your books and patterns. Discard what you know you will not use, Organize books. Place paper patterns into plastic page protectors. Put them into a ring binder
Storing Your Knitting Needles-Some Simple Solutions
Let's face it, if you are like me, you have sets of knitting needles that could be considered either hoarding or collecting, depending on how you look at it. Once you decide on one of these storage solutions, I promise that you will always have your pairs of knitting needles when you need them.
- Use a paint can to store your needles
- Store your DPN needles in an empty and clean Crystal Light conatiner
- A tote bag with your pairs of needles rubberbanded together
- Pringle cans
- Cardboard wine bottles decorated
- A pretty vase
- Zipper lock store bags -especially for circular needles
- A clear plastic tackle box
- In a mason jar
- An ice bucket
- Decortive gift bags
- In a large coffee can
- Use a paint brush caddy
- Long plastic storage boxes
More Knitting Needle Storage Ideas
- Needle reorganization
- Knitting Bucket Organizer - MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS
Knitting Bucket Organizer - MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS - I have been having a little trouble keeping track of all my knitting supplies. I needed something to hold all of my supplies and current project
- Ashley Knits: Double-Pointed Knitted Needles Storage
This idea will cost you under 5 dollars, You will never lose a needle again
Zip Lock Bags-Perfect Storage Solution
There are so many sizes of zip locked bags ! You can use them for all kinds of left over yarn. You can also use the two gallon bags to hold a project for on the go knitting
Do Not Overlook The Dollar Store For Knitting Storage Solutions
There are plenty of things that you can find at your local dollar store to help you with your knitting storage. Thinking outside of the box will help you get the storage tools that you need and stay within your budget.
- Toothbrush brush holder will hold your crochet hooks, round knitting needles, and small double sided needles
- Pocket holders can be used to hold needles, hooks and more.They can then be held in an upright magazine holder
- Portion pack bags are perfect to hold all kinds of knitting accessories, If you do not have a label maker, you can also find labels at your dollar store.
- Pill stacked boxes will also hold things like pins and accessories
- Over the chair storage-If you are limited in the area that you have to store your knitting supplies, this might be the product for you. It has a pocket system and slips over the back of your chair.
- See through containers-lets you see what you have and are stackable
- Multi holed tote-perfect for your wool storage. You can feed the ends through the holes
© 2019 Linda F Correa