Stuff to Make Out of Duct Tape
What Can I Make From Duct Tape?
Just about anything you can think of can be covered or made out of this versatile product. My kids have had a great time having friends over and being creative making:
- airsoft or Nerf war vests
- purses made on Ziploc bags
- roses and rose pens
- room decorations
- school supplies
See the instructions and videos below, then get started being creative!
Easy Duct Tape Shoes
Follow the above video to use a pair of Toms shoes as a model for making your own shoes out of cardboard and Duct Tape.
An even easier way to make custom shoes is to cover your own pair of:
- Flip Flops
If you have an old pair of shoes that still fit, you can revive them by covering them with this versatile tape! We've also done this to a pair we got used at the Goodwill. You can use then:
- as part of a costume
- for a trendy statement
- to match an outfit
- for a prom or wedding joke
- Cloth covered shoes
- Duct Tape in any color
- Small sharp scissors (nail clipping or embroidery scissors are good)
- Make sure the shoes are clean. You might want to wash and dry shoes if they aren't. Be sure they are completely dry or the tape won't stick.
- Starting at the front of the shoe, cut a piece of Duct Tape which is a bit longer than the front. Place it on the top of the shoe and press down.
- Place the second piece of tape overlapping the first one. Trim. Continue to place and trim until you've covered the whole shoe.
- Use two or more colors if you want, or put an edging of a different color around where your foot goes into the shoe.
- Best of all? You can take it all off and redo it with another color!
Easy Duct Tape Airsoft Vest
My son plays lots of airsoft and Nerf wars. After watching his sisters make Duct Tape stuff, he decided to make a vest which could let him hold his extra guns and ammo. He used an old shirt and then covered it with Duct Tape.
He added in straps to put on his equipment. It is easier to just cover an old T-Shirt (cut it first to make it into the vest you want), and that makes a very strong and "bulletproof" vest. For a lighter one, you can also make a vest just using the tape by watching the video instructions above.
Duct Tape Purse
The simplest way to make a purse or tote is just to cover a Ziplock bag (any size) with strips. All you need is:
- Duct Tape (at least one color, but 2 or more colors lets you make a nice design)
- ZipLock bag (new is best)
- Pull out the Duct Tape and attach the top end to the top of the bag. It is good to let a little of the tape overlap the side so you hide the bag.
- Carefully press down the tape on the bag and then cut (leave a little bit off the end.
- Do another strip right next to it, overlapping just a bit. You can use the same color or alternate with a different color for stripes.
- Cover the whole bag on one side. Turn it over and cover the other side.
- Trim any extra around the bag.
- Make a handle by pulling out the tape that is as long as you want your handle to be. You can make it a hipster shoulder bag, or have 2 shorter handles on either side if you want to make it a tote.
- Lay the handle strip sticky side up on the table. Fold the tape in half.
- Attach the handle to the outside of the Ziploc bag.
- Now to hold the handle on, and to strengthen the bag, put one more strip of Duct Tape at the top of the bag, like in the picture below. You can use this as a contrasting color if you want.
- For directions on how to make the triangle bag, watch the video above.
Duct Tape Flower
You can make a variety of flowers, but the rose is the most popular. You can make these into:
- the top of a pen or pencil
- a ring
- a rose for a vase
- a gift for a friend
- a bracelet
- a keychain
See the video for instructions, or see my written tutorial in How to Make a Duct Tape Flower Pen.
Duct Tape Wallet
I think this project started this trend of using Duct Tape for something other than house repairs. There are lots of videos to explain how to do it, but I like this one because the directions are clear and it has some cute designs. You might want to make this to go inside your purse or tote!
- The video above has a variety of ways to make jewelry. Another way my kids have done it is to make braids using 3 strands of tape.
- Cut the strands about 1 1/2 times as long as you want the finished product to be. For smaller things like rings, bracelets, or anklets, you might want to cut the tape into narrow strips.
- Fold each strip sticky side together.
- Attach the 3 ends with another piece of tape and then braid them.
- Use the braid for a necklace or bracelet. If you make smaller strips, you can make braided rings.
Easier Duct Tape Jewelry
- To make the simplest jewelry, all you need to do is to cut a piece of tape a bit bigger than what you want to put it around (toe, finger, wrist, etc.).
- Cut the tape in half lengthwise.
- Fold one of the pieces in half so that the Duct Tape sticks to itself, but leave one end open.
- Put the ring or bracelet around and then use the open end of the Duct Tape to attach it. You might want to make sure it is big enough that you can slip it off.
- Decorate the ring or bracelet with circles of Duct Tape you cut out with a hole punch, sharpies, or stickers.
Duck Tape Prom Clothes
Really inspired? You might think about making clothes. You can take an old dress, shirt or pants and just cover it, or you might want to make a pattern for clothes out of something thin and lightweight like a vinyl tablecloth and then cover it with Duct Tape.
You can actually win a scholarship if you win the "Duck Tape Stuck at the Prom" contest. Look at the video above for inspiration. Even if you don't want to make one for yourself, you will be amazed at the creativity!