The Beauty in Portrait Drawings
What is beauty?
Some dictionaries state that beauty "is a characteristic of a person, animal, place, object or idea that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure or satisfaction. The quality of what is beautiful."
I agree with this state. Regarding my type of Art, portraits, it's easy to find beauty in what i do. Not only people likes waht they see, but also i think i have a good dose of beauty sense about people's faces and expressions.
Most of my artworks come from commissions, which could be a brake to my creativity. But fortunely it isn't. I must confess, i rather draw a beautiful woman than a rough man. But even so, i always try to capture the person eyes, which gives more than 70% of the credit to the final drawing. The eyes are indeed the most important piece of a great portrait. The other 30% comes with the details we put in.
Why i love portraits?
I love the portraits because as the name implies, I am portraying someone. It is not just trying to copy the best possible the expressions and the look of the subject, but his personality, his experience and life experiences. Therefore, it is very important to capture what the eyes tell us, be it a person or an animal.
Every time I start to draw, I start with the eyes. When I just draw the eyes, it is as if the subject was already there. And it helps a lot in motivation to finish the rest of the drawing.
What's my favourite suject to draw?
What I most like to portray are women because of their natural beauty. Maybe because I am a man, eheh. But anyways, it is obvious that every portrait i make, is a challenge, because all people are different. Even when drawing animals, they have very personal characteristics that lead owners to recognize immediately what is portrayed.
The animals are what I most like to draw following to women. I have a certain freedom to create, without departing from the main goal, their eyes. If it is a cat for example, i can draw more or less hair, while still resemble the animal. I already drew, cats, horses, etc., and they all had their own personality, which i luckily managed to translate faithfully to the paper.
What materials i use?
Most of my commissions are done with pastel pencils. I also draw in black and white using graphite and charcoal pencils, but i've been more sucessful with my pastel portraits. Pastels are a dusty material which we have to be a bit careful while using it, because of its dust. It's a kind of chalk with color pigment. People that use pastels agrees with me when i say it is a very versatile material, letting us blend and blend colours, over and over. It has some cons, one is the dust and other is the fact that it can´t be sealed with fixative like a charcoal drawing. We can use a bit fixative at the begining of the drawing, but we are risking in changing the colour values. If the drawing is finished i never use fixative, i once ruined a portrait by doing that and i had to correct all the details of the drawing...
The media i use is paper, but a special one called PastelMat 2, which has a very tiny texture that allows the pastel to fix it just perfectly. Besides these 2 main materials, pencils and paper, i also use my fingers in some particulary areas. We always have to be careful when using our own hands, because of our natural fat and sweat, that can ruin a drawing.
Some personal advice
Anyone can draw up to a certain point. The important thing is to never give up and go draw more and more to perfect the technique and the results will appear. When I started drawing portraits, it had nothing to do with what i'm drawing today. And I do not wanna stick around, I want to improve myself in hyperrealism, but that is for another Hub!
Thank you all!
My work through the World Wide Web
- Official Website
amazing visual arts, realistic paintings and drawings, david mela visual artist, portugal
- Facebook Fan page
This is my Fan Page in Facebook, please feel free to visit, like and share!
- David Mela on Behance
His name David Coelho, born in Torres Novas - Portugal, completely self-taught, is presented as emerging artist, whose artistic name David Mela, progressing in the areas of surrealism and hyperrealism. Currently it is mainly devoted to hyperrealistic
Other Hubs of mine
- Realistic Pencil Drawing - Nailed To Time
Time passes by... But we don't have to be nailed to it! This realistic pencil drawing is all about NOT to be stucked in time, in order to move on in life, believing that will not be an end...
- Pencil Drawing - The Addiction
Pencil drawing The addiction. What addiction am i talking about? What's this glass of wine all about? Please feel free to hop by and know more about it!
- Color Pencil Drawing - Mother Nature - Water
Where was my head, when i think in drawing a color pencil drawing? Mother Nature - Water? What is it this? Check what's behind this drawing.