Things About Me That Aren't in My Biography
My Favorite Celebrity!
My Physical Appearance
Misconceptions About Me
We don't always see what we are supposed to see in the mirror. We more or less see what we want to see. Someone went to the trouble to write a post about me. She accused me of several things, none of which were even close to the real me. Apparently, she formed some pre-conceptions based on my bio here.
1. Yes, I am a Journalist - I worked hard to put myself through school so I could be like two of my heroes - my Dad and Dan Rather. Being a 'journalist' is not a bad thing. It just means I have had training on how to write.
2. I too was schooled on the street. I had alcoholic parents and I had to leave home at the age of 12 (in the early 60s - hippie times) - I supported myself from that day forward.
3. I am indeed an award winning writer - but the rewards are not lucrative, they are more like accomplishments. Most have been of the non-paying variety.
4. Whoa! - I am definitely NOT a "brown noser"! I am a liberal, left wing independent who calls it like I see it. I have anti-theist views similar to Isaac Asimov, Bill Maher, and George Carlin.
5. I am not rich now, although I was married to a rich man once. It wasn't worth it.
6. I have also been homeless and on the streets of the North Side of Houston. Not a pretty place. I have been through hell and managed to get out of it in my 60+ years of life.
7. I live very humbly, my current husband and I are both on a fixed disability income.
8. I tend toward editing (correcting people's grammar and such) sometimes because that is how I was trained. But, if you don't want my input, all you have to do is say so. You are also free to express your own views on your own hubs, but be mindful of the truth versus slander.
9. I respect that you graduated basic training in the military and thank you for your service. My goal, however, would be to end all need for wars and killing. So, I went to college instead of the military. I applied for military service once and was turned down for having flat feet and bad vision.
10. Yes, I have written for magazines and newspapers - but that does not make me special. Lots of people do that.
11. I did not grow up with a "silver spoon up my ass". I was surprised to see something like this when talking about me! (Yes, she actually said that).
12. Of course, I will come to the aid of victims being bullied. I would not stand around or look the other way. But the 'bullying' you are talking about is nothing more than standing up for my own beliefs. You have the freedom to ignore me. I won't hunt you down or anything like that.
13. I am also proud of what I have accomplished in my life. I EARNED my college degree. It was not handed to me. I worked full time to pay for my college tuition, and I paid every penny of it on my own.
14. I worked in the medical field for most of my life and I saved thousands, maybe millions of lives. I specialized in transfusion medicine and even did exchange transfusions for babies.
15. No one can do what you have done with your life. That is why we are individuals. I can't walk in your shoes and you can't walk in mine.
So, as an advisory to other people who assume things - just don't do it. Don't call people names, Don't insult them over the imaginary image you have in your head about people.
Actually, it's best not to insult people at all if you can help it. Of course, some people are WAY too sensitive. They take everything so personally.
One of my best paintings!
These are a few of my favorite things:
- I love dogs, cats, and horses - actually, I love all animals and the ASPCA is even in my will.
- I love swimming, scuba diving, and all things wet. I used to live in Hawaii and Mexico and wanted to become a beach bum.
- My husband is a talented musician and I love his music.
- I love reading books! Lots of books
- I love to write and really love it here at HubPages. I'm still working on my first novel.
- Games I like to play: Scrabble, Dominoes, card games, puzzle games.
- I love road trips and driving.
- I like being the photographer, but not the photgraphee.
- I like making dream catchers, but that is about the only craft I know.
- I love painting and art, but I kind of suck at it.
- I love to travel, but can't do much of that anymore.
- I have always had a computer ever since they came out for public use. I'm a software nerd.
- I love a good argument, so long as it doesn't escalate to anger.
- My favorite months of the year are April and October.
Some things I don't much care for:
- Religious beliefs that cause harm - the abuse of children most particularly.
- Any abuse of an animal!
- The aches and pains of growing older in a once vibrant body.
- Terrible customer service that most companies provide, or don't provide as the case may be.
- Annoying phone solicitors.
- Insurance companies
- Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac and the terrible skin rashes that they cause
- Kidney stones and gout
- Most Republicans, and quite a few Democrats, also almost all career politicians.
- Wars and Ideologies that kill people.
- Bigotry and Ignorance
- Hatred and Intolerance
© 2015 Lela