- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Tips On How to Sell Handmade Beaded Jewelry
Where to Start Selling Handmade Jewelry
If you have been making jewelry and feel that your handmade jewelry is a product that consumers are willing to buy, then you may be ready to take the plunge. It may seem daunting at first, but it can be a lot of fun to sell handmade jewelry items to the public. There are many different avenues to choose, depending on your product, where you live, and how much money you are willing to spend up front. Below is a list of ideas, based on my own personal experiences:
Displaying Your Product
How to Create a Website Easily Using Vistaprint
- How to Create a Website Easily Using Vistaprint
Create your own website quickly and easily with Vistaprint. Your first month is free, and after that only $4.95 a month.
Great Ways to Display Jewelry
- If you are already working somewhere, get permission to bring a small display of some of your best handmade jewelry items to work. Place them in the lounge or breakroom where people can see them at their leisure. Leave a sign near the jewelry that explains the cost of each item and how payment should be made. I did this at a school I worked at and was shocked at the response. One month I brought home more money than my paycheck was for!
- Most schools offer some sort of Holiday Shop to parents and the community some time during the school year. Call the schools closest to you to see if you can be a vendor. Most likely they will give you a contact person, probably a PTA member and they will charge you a small fee to rent a space, $25 to $75. Every year I participate in a 3 hour Holiday Shop at a local elementary school. I have made anywhere from $100 to $500.
- Check the local paper for craft shows and other events advertising for vendors. Some of them will be "juried" which means you will have to apply and be accepted before you can participate. You may need to send pictures of your best handmade jewelry and describe your product. A few years ago I did this at a local University where they held a large community event. After going through the process of being accepted, I am now on their "list" and am automatically accepted, and receive an invitation every year.
- Go to a local business, such as a hair salon or small shop, and ask if they will display your product there. You can offer them a percentage of the sales or sell them the display at a cost that is acceptable to you. I own a small business and display my items there.
- Create a website that has a shopping cart for consumers to purchase your handmade jewelry online. I would suggest doing this after experiencing sales of your product face to face. You will learn more about your product by doing this first, which will help you to determine how your website should be presented. I use Vistaprint for all my small business website and email marketing needs. It is very user friendly and low-cost. I've just begun to explore the Etsy website to create a shop for my hobby creations: jewelry and crochet. I've found it super easy to setup and very low-cost. The hardest part for me is taking quality photographs of my work. The challenge for most with Etsy is getting customers to your site, unless you already have a customer base.
- Vistaprint - Business Cards - Full Color Printing - Digital Printing Company | Vistaprint
Four-color business cards, marketing postcards, invitations and letterhead custom printed at amazingly low prices. You can even get FREE business cards! Easily personalize and order your products online in no time.
- How to Make Funky Bead Earrings
Learn how to make 3 kinds of earring, using funky beads.
Other Things to Think About When Selling Jewelry
There is so much more to tell you before you begin your journey of selling your handmade jewelry. I have written more articles about selling handmade jewelry and beading.
Whatever you choose to do, make sure you are having fun doing it. Choose events to participate in, that you will enjoy. For instance, I avoid doing a certain craft show at one of my local high schools, because it runs from 9am to 5pm and you have to stay the entire time. That's a whole Saturday that I don't want to give up, plus set-up time and clean-up time. Now, there is a wine festival that I love to participate in. I usually take a family member or good friend that I enjoy spending time with. We sell jewelry and drink wine. Who can beat that?
- How to String a Bead Necklace
Create your own neckace with these easy instructions and accompanying video. Make beautiful necklaces for friends and family members at a fraction of the cost of purchasing them.
- How to Make Wire Bracelets
Wire jewelry making is a fun and rewarding experience. Learn how to make beautiful wire bracelets with these easy-to-follow instructions.
- Buying Jewelry Components
If you are a beader and need to purchase jewelry components in bulk, this article will tell you all about the best place to do this and why.