Tips and Techniques on Capturing Great Sunset Photo – A Beginners Guide to Photography
Sunset as a subject in photography
There are a lot of subject to capture when you do photography. Sunset is one of the most popular of them. Taking photos of the sun setting down and making its way to rest is a very dramatic scene. Capturing these moments is priceless and will only happen ones. In a tropical country like the Philippines sunset is often seen by everyone and it always amazes anyone who can see it setting in the horizon.
I decided to give you some tips and techniques for you to capture a sunset. There are a lot of tutorial around there but I will try my very best to give you all the knowledge I know in order to get a descent photo of a sunset. There are a lot of ways to capture a sunset, you can use either a camera phone, a digital camera or if you want to produce a high quality image you can you a DSLR. My personal choice is the DSLR since its more powerful tool if you want to get a great photo of a sunset.
Tools and Preparation
Before going out and start chasing the sun before it sets out you should first consider some of the following. You need helpful tools for you to be able to shoot a sunset easier.
· DSLR – this is your primary tool to capture a sunset.
· Tripod – it will be used as your stable stand, especially if your hands are too shaky.
· Extra lens – if you want to get a closer shot then you need a wider range of a lens.
Now that you have your tools it’s time to prepare, you need to have a bag to carry all your equipment. Since the sun is still out you should bring a sunblock with you so that you will not be burnt by the sun. It’s also advisable to wear clothes that are long enough to cover your body, which is if you have any skin irritation brought by long exposure to the sun.
Let’s Get Start Shooting!
So you’re all good to go but where is the best place to shoot a sunset? Sunset shooting depends on where are you. You can always take a photo of sunset wherever but to make the photo more dramatic there are great places for you to capture it. One of the best places is beside the beach; nothing beats the scene of the sun setting on the oceans horizon. So let’s proceed on the tips and techniques that I used to do when I capture a sunset.
1. Find the best spot that you can find, before taking a photo compose it first. Look around you and see if you can find some other elements that you can add to your photo. It adds more drama.
2. In composing your photo you should always put in mind the basic rule in photography. The Rule of Thirds, this basically means that you imagine what you see then slice it to 3x3 squares and put your main subject to any of those squares.
3. Put your tripod in place and make sure that it’s steady enough or will not fall down to avoid any damage to your camera.
4. The best time to start shooting is when the sun is 3’oclock angle until it totally sets.
5. When the sun starts to touch the sea horizon expect that it will set faster than what you think, so don’t waste time and take that photo.
6. For the settings of the camera since you are capturing under a bright area you should set you ISO to 100, put your aperture to f/6.3, f/7.1, f/8, f/9, f/10 and the shutter speed to 1/250 or higher.
7. As sun sets the place will start to dark so make necessary adjustments on the ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed.
8. This three come hand-in-hand when you adjust it. So that’s it! Happy Shooting!
- Macro Photography: Reverse Lens Method
What is reverse lens photography and how can I do it?
- Photography; Portraits of Plants and Flowers - A Gre...
This article looks at the photography of plants and flowers, illustrating the kind of images which can be attempted by anybody with a decent camera and lenses, and a little thought and care.
- Manual Photography Basics - Know Your Camera Inside ...
One of the great qualities in digital photography is that just about anyone can take good pictures by using the camera in automatic mode. When working in automatic, the camera has been programmed and taught to adjust its setting for light, distance..
Join HubPages Now!
Do you love writing? Or do you want to enhance or maybe venture on enhancing your writing skills? HubPages is the best place for you to start with. You can Sign Up here to get started. The good thing about Hubpages is that you write quality articles and earn from it.