- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Two-Step Paper Heart Craft for Kids
This easy craft project teaches measurement, and the finished product really makes a statement!
You will need:
- Pink and red construction paper (one piece each)
- Paper cutter or scissors
- Pen or pencil
- Thread - pink, red, or white
Trimming the Paper
- Cut the construction paper into strips that are 11" long by 1" wide. I like to use a paper cutter for this part to keep the lines straight. You will need seven strips for each heart.
- Set aside two strips of the same color. These will be the outside of the heart. I used red for this example.
- Take two strips of another color (pink in this example) and trim each of them to 9" long. This is a great time for kids to practice measuring and cutting!
- Get two more strips of the original color (red) and trim each of them to 7" long.
- Take the last strip (pink) and trim it to 5" long. This will be the center of your heart.
Assembling the Heart
- Line the strips up in order, with the shortest strip in the middle and progressively longer strips on each side. The order will be 11" strip, 9" strip, 7" strip, 5" strip, 7" strip, 9" strip, 11" strip.
- Pick the strips up in order from left to right and line up the ends of the strips so that they are evenly stacked.
- Staple the strips together about one inch from the end. This is the bottom of the heart.
- Line up the ends of the three strips on one side of the center strip. The longer ones will bow slightly.
- Curve the three strips downward so that the ends of the three strips are about one inch from the open end of the short center strip. Staple these strips to the center strip.
- Repeat this process with the strips on the other side. The end result will be a heart shape.
My favorite way to use these hearts is to hang them in a window. To do this, take a piece of thread and feed it through the center of the heart, knotting it at the end. Then hang it from a suction cup hook placed on the window for a nice effect.
You can also make these into a mobile by taking two craft sticks or chopsticks and tying them into an "X" shape. Then hang hearts from each of the four ends, using different lengths of thread, and hang from the ceiling.