- Arts and Design»
Windsor & Newton watercolours box set
First impressions of the Winsor & Newton watercolour boxed set is one of a good quality product. There are many cheaper watercolour sets on the market and it was good to get my hands on a branded Winsor & Newton watercolor box set. For me the difference from cheaper box sets was noticeable right away. There is an old saying that if its heavy, its expensive and the Winsor & Newton watercolors box set feels heavy for its size. I don’t mean it’s to heavy to carry but that heavy quality feel you get with a well put together product.
This sturdy feel hints as to the quality materials lurking inside, which is what you would expect from a brand such as Winsor & Newton.
As an artist myself I like everything in its place and these box sets provide just that, as they give you all your require, in one place, and a unit to store them in.
The Winsor & Newton watercolour, Bamboo Set looks and feels durable, but the box sample I have in front of me, on which I am writing this review, did have a few scratches on the wood surface. I have put this down to the postage and handling which is a shame With this in mind it might be a case that the Bamboo used in the construction of the box marks easily. This is not a problem as the wooden feel of the box has that quality feel you associated with the Windsor & Newton brand.
The box is opened by two sturdy clasps which allows the box to lay flat on your worktop and display the boxes branded Winsor & Newton watercolor art materials. The art box contains one natural sponge, a medium kneaded putty rubber, a white ceramic mixing pallet, branded Winsor & Newton small cloth, a branded pencil, two branded paint brushes (sizes 4 and 0), A5 watercolour pad with 12 pages of 300gsm watercolour paper along with 12 tubes of branded Winsor & Newton watercolour in tubes.
Good points about the Winsor & Newton Bamboo box set
- Contains quality Windsor & Newton watercolours
- Quality construction you expect from Winsor & Newton
- Great size which makes it easy to store
- Portable design for transporting your materials
- Feels and looks great
Poor points about the Winsor & Newton Bamboo box set
- Some might feel it’s a little expensive but they are quality art materials
- The Bamboo box can mark easily due to the materials used
- The tube might be seen as a little small.
The Windsor & Newton watercolors Bamboo Box set is a sturdy, compact addition to your art materials, by a quality manufacturer, easy to store and portable.
You can buy this set and others like it at www.rubooks.co.uk
Other reviews you might be interested in
If you are interested in painting, be it traditional or digital then take a look at some of the other reviews below.
- Dragons Domain by Bob Eggleton - book review
- How to Paint Fantasy Art in Watercolour - book review
- Star Wars Visions - fanatsy art - book review
- Other Worlds, Tom Kidd fanatsy art - book review
- How to Paint a Dragon
- How to paint Vibrant Flowers in Watercolour - book review
- Charlie's Top Tips for Watercolours Artists - book review
- How to Draw and Paint Fantay Warriors & Heroes with Alan Lathwell - book review
- International Artist Magazine