- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Easy Winter Crafts- Coffee Filter Snowflake Tutorial
Learn how to make pretty snowflakes out of coffee filters. This is my kind of craft- quick, simple, inexpensive and fun! I was thinking about some way to do snowflakes out of something besides just paper and decided to give a coffee filter a try to I really like how it turned out. I like how they are a little more sheer than paper. This is a suitable craft for both kids and adults. You can make the snowflakes as simple or intricate as you like. Needing a few ideas about what to do with your finished snowflakes? Here are a few:
- Hang them in your windows
- String them together to make a garland
- Cut different sizes of them and make a snowflake curtain like this one here
- Scatter them down the center of the dinner table for decoration
- Use fishing line and hang them from a chandelier or the ceiling
- Use them to decorate the Christmas tree
- Use them for backgrounds in scrapbook layouts
- Use as stencils
What You Need:
- Coffee filters
Step 1- Fold It
Flatten out the coffee filter and fold it in half. Then fold it in half again, then again and then one more time. You will fold it 4 times total. You will be left with a little wedge.
Step 2- Cut It
Cut the design by making cuts into each side of the wedge. You can cut out all kinds of shapes and designs. Do a search online for snowflake templates, there are lots of them out there. Experiment and have fun with it.. no two will look exactly alike and you will be surprised the beautiful looking snowflakes you can end up with!
Step 3- Unfold
After cutting, carefully unfold and watch as your gorgeous snowflake appears!
Tips and Ideas
- If your filters are too wrinkly, you could try ironing it. It may also help to iron the wedge after you have folded it for more accurate cutting as well.
- If you feel like the coffee filter is too flimsy, try gluing two together with adhesive spray to make it a bit stiffer before cutting the flake.
- You can also try hairspray, ironing starch etc. to stiffen them... Ya never know. It might work!
- Add some shimmer by spraying or sprinkling them with glitter or shimmer mist.
- If you want them colored you could paint them with watercolors, watered down acrylics or alcohol inks.
What I did with my snowflakes...
Thank you for dropping by. I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and hopefully I have inspired you to make one or a few coffee filter snowflakes. Happy Crafting!