Pamela Kinnaird W profile image 87

Why is fabric so expensive in Canada?

Last year I was buying a batik fabric for $3.49 a yard on Maui. Here in Canada I was shocked in a fabric store to find out the same batik -- same pattern on the fabric -- is $18.99 a yard! And the cotton for quilting is $15.99 a yard and up. I went to another shop -- same price. I went to Walmart and they have changed their packaging. You can't buy fabric off the bolt now. I think it was $11.99 for cotton fabric there. I didn't see any batik. How could there be such a price difference from Maui to Canada? Arizona's prices were low, too, but Maui is usually higher priced due to shipping.

Ann1Az2 profile image72

Ann1Az2 says

• Pamela Kinnaird W profile image

Pamela Kinnaird W 4 years ago

Yup. Just when I'm finally getting around to learning how to sew dresses.

Thanks for your comment.

• Pamela Kinnaird W profile image

Pamela Kinnaird W 4 years ago

It's amazing. A spiral notebook with colors on the front which is $2.97 on MauiI -- I saw the same one in Walmart in Saskatchewan for $10.97. I can only guess the price is higher because the wages are so high in Saskatchewan (and Alberta).