I have been quilting for over 35 years and have made over 300 quilts. In all that time I have found that many things inspire me to do a quilt. Here is a list of my inspirations:
1. the birth of a child, someone getting married, believe it or not the death of someone ( this is called a mourning quilt) someone's anniversary. ie the "events" that take place in people's lives
2. Replicating a photograph or really cool card that i have seen or recieved.
3. A specific fabric that I have found while shopping.
4. to showcase my memories of a vacation
5. learning a new technique in a class
6. teaching quilting inspires me to make a quilt or quilt samples for my students
7. Making charity quilts for a worthy cause.
8. Feeling somewhat guilty that I have unused fabric in my fabric stash.
9. going to a quilt meeting and seeing others people's quilts
10. going to a quilt show or museum and seeing others quilts.
11. reading quilting magazines.
12. sometimes i need no inspiration at all to make a quilt, it's something i have loved to do for over 30 years and that in itself inspires me.
*** see my hub for pictures of some of the quilts I have done over the years.