Batik is one of the most popular clothes and accessories in Indonesia. I love batik clothes, because it's perfectly design, it's beautiful and it's unique. and it's not easy to make clothes or accessories from Batik, it took a lot of energy to make clothes or accessories from Batik and of course I am Indonesian, and maybe that's why i love batik.
Some of my friends use batiks everyday. maybe he loves batik more than me. according to my friend, he said that batik makes him feel cooler and the fabric are really soft and it's really comfortable to wear.
i wonder "have you ever tried using or wearing batiks?. if you haven't, you can try it. i'm sure you'll like it. just like me. i love Batiks very much.
What is Batik?
Batik is one of the traditional clothes in Indonesia. Batik is a way to make a clothes. the technique to make clothes wit batik techniques is called "wax-resist dyeing" batik has been set by UNESCO as "Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity" since October 2, 2009.
Batik is a craft that has a high quality of its art and creativity, and has been apart of Indonesia traditions especially Java for a really long time. I think that batik is one of the best fashion in the world. its design and its colors, it's just so beautiful and unique.
Type of Batik
Different type of batik has a different quality and price. it depends on the people to choose which one they like. So, There are 2 types of batiks, which are
1. HAND-DRAWN BATIK is decorated with fabric textures and patterns by hand where the design are drawn with hot liquid of wax with a tool of metal object called CANTING. This type of batik takes approximately 2-3 months.
2. BLOCK-PRINTED BATIK is decorated with the block which is made of copper. First of all, the block will be dipped into the wax and printed into the fabric. after that, the wax will be removed and batik with one color is produced. In order to create a different color of batik, waxing with different blocks, dying, and de-waxing have to be done lots of times. this type of batik takes approximately 2-3 days
In Indonesia, Hand-Drawn batik is considered as an original batik which is made by hand and it took times and energy. So, in my opinion the quality must be better than the printed batik and the price must be higher.
Tips on Choosing Batiks Match to Your Requirements
- Choose patterned batik fauna and flora in the blend of bright colors, giving the impression of an active and cheerful.
- If you're a big man, choose medium sized motif. Avoid motif/design size that is too small.
- If you are petite, make sure you choose a small motif.
- For the casual style, wear a simple clothes with application or interesting details.
- In order to make you comfortable to wear the batiks, make sure you choose batik casual clothing made of cotton.
Working Clothing or Formal Clothing
- Choose batik in the dark or pastel color combinations and geometric patterned in order to make your appearance look neat, simple, and formal.
- If you have a big body, choose a medium-sized geometric patterns, or a combination of large geometric patterns with a smaller size to fit your body proportions.
- If you have a small body, do not hesitate to choose a medium geometric patterned batik so that the shapes of your body look more proportional.
- For your work activity, make sure you choose the design which was simple but firm, so as to keep a professional impression. Only if needed it can be added details that seem attractive minimalist, like tuck, pleat, pocket, or belt.
- For fashion work, choose batik made from cotton and add superlining as a liner so that the fashion look more firm and neat.
- If you want to make a fashion party or official of batik cloth, you can use different kinds of motifs and colors blend. The important thing, choose the color and motif that matches the type of events you will attend (party scene).
- For the party-atmosphere casual or semi-official, you can choose batik motifs of fauna and flora in the alloy bright or light colors.
- For a formal party, batik motifs of fauna and flora in the alloy bright or light colors.
- For a formal party, geometric-patterned batik medium or classical motifs and a touch of color in light or dark that has luxurious impression may be the right choice.
- For a party dress, you can choose batik made from cotton, silk (silk satin, raw silk, crepe silk) and weave and neat.
How to batik
The following are tools and materials which should be prepared to make batik:
- Cloth (can be made of silk or cotton)
- Canting as a means of forming motif
- Gawangan (a place to hang fabric)
- Candle (night) diluted
- Pot and a small stove to heat
- Dye solution
Tjanting (Canting) - Tools for making batik by hand
Process of making batik
The stages in the process of making batik is:
- The first step is to make batik designs commonly called molani. In determining the motive, usually each person has different tastes. Some prefer to make their own motives, but others prefer to follow common motifs that have been there. Motives are often used batik in Indonesia itself is divided into two: the classical batik, which is a lot to play with symbols and coastal batik with natural characteristics such as pictures of flowers and butterflies. Make a design or motif can use a pencil.
- After completing molani, the second step is to paint with (wax) night using canting (caged) to follow the pattern.
- The next stage, covered with wax parts will remain white (no color). Canting for the smooth, or brush for large parts. The goal is that when dyeing material into the dye solution, part of a given layer of wax is not exposed.
- The next stage, the first coloring on parts not covered by the wax with a cloth dipped in a particular color.
- Once dyed, the cloth in drying and dried.
- Once dyed, dry the cloth in the sun
- Once dried, re-doing the batik process that is painting with wax using a canting to cover the part that will be retained on the first coloring.
- Then, proceed with the second color dyeing process.
- The next process, removes wax from the fabric by putting the cloth in hot water on the stove.
- Once clear of wax cloth and dry, it can be done again by closing wax batik process (using a canting) to hold the first and second colors.
- The process of opening and closing the wax can be done repeatedly in accordance with the number of colors and complexity of the desired motif.
- The next process is nglorot, where the fabric was discolored boiled hot water. The goal is to remove the layer of wax, so the motive which had drawn previously pins. You do not need to worry, this will not make the dipping pattern you've hit the color image, because the top of the fabric is still shrouded in a thin layer (wax does not completely fade). Once completed, the batik is ready for use.
- The final process is to wash the batik cloth and then dry by leaving it before it can be used and worn.
Dye Set (Material of making Batik)
How To Batik Voting
So, what do you think? will you try to make batik clothes?
Batik in Indonesia
Most people in Indonesia use Batik clothes on Friday which is Batik Day for Indonesia. I think it is cool. Batiks is so beautiful in my opinion. it is different than any other clothes.
I have Batiks at home with blue colours. Lots of people prefer brown Batiks, cause brown is the original color of batiks, but i prefer blue cause it's my favorite colors.
If you have never try batiks, I think you should give it a shot. There are lots of choices of batik clothes in Indonesia. It's amazing if we could try a new things, new experiences.
Mix together fabric surface design (Batik Included)
How to wear kain batik
Have you ever try using Batik before? Do you want to try using it?
© 2014 erickurniawan