- Arts and Design
How to make a cute little gift box
A crafty little gift box!
These mini chinese food take-out style boxes are adorable! And with the template and instructions included below, you can make them yourself! They're great to use as gift boxes, wedding favour boxes, or even just a decorative storage solution for small items such as paperclips, safety pins, thumbtacks, etc. They're cute, they're useful and they're fun to make, so try it today!
I love these take-out style gift boxes!
I initially boutght a little box like this at a craft store, after which I noticed how simply constructed it was. I figured I could probably make my own, using different coloured poster board of my choosing, or even some of my fancy-schmancy scrapbooking paper, and I did! It was easy once I got the pattern from the first box. It was basically held together by its little handle, so once I removed it, the box unfolded itself and I was able to trace the outline onto my paper of choice. I then cut out the traced pattern and folded it the same way the original box had been folded, and there it was! A super cute little box, just like the one from the craft store, made by me!
Except one part was missing: the handle. I searched throughout the house for something to use as a handle and, as it turned out, my fiancÃ© had some 20 gauge hardware wire purchased from our local dollar store. I just took the handle from the original box and copied it with a piece of the dollar store wire. I then inserted the ends of the wire into small holes that I had punched into the sides of the box, just as the store-bought box had, folded the ends of the wire upward and the box held together. It worked out quite nicely.
I ended up making a bunch more and using them as gift boxes. I also used them when I had a table selling my handmade jewelry at a local farmer's market last fall (my handmade jewelry is also available at www.ladyamaranth.winkelf.com ) and those little boxes were quite the hit! People thought they were cool, and liked the fact that there were several different colours to choose from. I was pleasantly surprised with their popularity.
Now you can make them too! Just print the template that I've included and follow the instructions below. It's really simple, and have fun with it! Try them using paper with different colours, designs and textures for some awesome results. Or, you can decorate them with stickers and other embellishments. Let out your creativity, and enjoy!
Amazon has an excellent selection of paper:
1. Print the template. You can either print directly onto your paper of choice (print on the side that will be on the inside of the box) or you can just print on any paper and use it to trace the templatate onto the actual paper you will use.
2. Cut out the outline of the template. Note: Only cut out the solid lines. The dotted lines are to be folded later on.
3. If you're using the cut-out as a pattern, trace the outline onto your paper of choice and cut out the new outline as well. If not, skip to next step.
4. Fold the dotted lines toward the inside of the box. The little triangles on the sides should be on the outside of the box. You can use glue to keep them in place if you wish.
5. Pierce holes in the sides with the triangles (1 hole per side). These will be used for inserting the handles.
6. Cut about 9 inches of wire, to be used for the handle.
7. Bend the wire at a 90 degree angle at every 3 inches, as to shape a U.
8. Bend the wire at about 1/2 inch from the ends at a 90 degree angle toward the inside.
9. Insert the ends of the wire into the holes at the sides of the box.
10. Pinch the ends of the wire to bend them closed, so that they are pressed against the sides of the handle.
And your box is ready to be used! You can close your box using the little tabs on top. Just insert them into each other through the slit.
Have fun, and enjoy!
Lady Amaranth @}--'-,---