15 Career Opportunities for Concept Artists
Concept artists are having a grand time this century. Their industry of visual representation is highly fascinating and remarkably lucrative, so much so that career job opportunities abound for students of concept art and for those who aspire to make a career out of it, especially in the more recent video game design and production business.
As a concept artist looking for a job, there are various niches to choose from, each covering different styles, techniques and areas within the film, animation, comics, and video game art and development processes, before being made into a final product.
The major goal a concept artist needs to achieve is the ability to (through illustration) communicate a visual representation of an idea, design, or creative mood for use in any of the final commodities within the various niches.
The workload is always enjoyable and the good income that comes with it makes it a dream "must have" job for creative art students and art and design enthusiasts.
Study to Become a Concept Artist
Firstly, to be highly successful and attain a high-income level in this career, it is a good idea to get an education in the field of game art and design.
It can be attained on campus or as an on-line study program.
A concept artist job in the game design industry primarily involves creating and designing characters, forms, structures, virtual worlds, etc.., found within video games.
Designs must fit and conform to themes of the game and colours must be considered and utilized to form a balanced scheme throughout the design of the video game.
To achieve great success in the game art industry you must possess:
- The skills that are required of a professional illustrator of human character and animal forms
- Highly proficient life sketches and drawing abilities
- Very good observation skills
- A good grasp of anatomy proportion and skeletal structures that are always required in life drawings
The Importance of Life Drawings' Skills in Game Art and Design
The rules of construction and posture that is learned must be applied at all times. Life drawings have to come across perfectly in all creative works produced by a video game designer.
In game art and design, creations and designs of the environment for the games, including buildings, plants, water, lush landscapes, any weather condition, speeding race cars or moving automobiles, etc.., must be created to seem:
- Real and alive
This is the area where possessing good observational skills comes to play when seeking concept artists jobs.
15 Concept Artist Job Opportunities
As a concept artist, you’ll find that you are an essential part of a creative and production process and can be a valuable asset at companies in the industry, big and small.
If you are software savvy, you will have more opportunities than many others because of the demand for more detailed visuals, images and backgrounds continue to increase.
Also, artists that have developed a “mastery of artistic techniques and skills” usually have the best job prospects.
However, job opportunities are vast, and a concept artist can always carve out a niche for him or herself in any of the following categories.
- Comic books illustrators
- Visual and special effects designer
- Gaming industry
- Integrated advertising
- Game art and design
- 2D concept artists
- Graphic designer
- 3D character artist
- Character designer
- Digital artist
- Digital Painter
- Environment concept artist
Video Games Designer - Start a Career
If you have a passion for creative arts and wish to pursue a high paying concept art career that is interesting and fun to do, you may consider seeking a course study which encompasses all aspects of concept art before deciding on a specialized niche.
There are also many good art colleges that teach many different aspects of concept art.
Course curriculum in any of these colleges which can be attended on campus or at a distance learning college include:
- Life drawing
- Graphic design
- Technical drawing
A study of the above courses will help students seeking a career in the field, find an overall understanding of forms of art & design, and students will subsequently have the ability to work successfully as concept artists.
Advice for Aspiring Concept Artists
- Drawing constantly and persistently is necessary for success in the game art and design industry, and indeed the concept art industry; so it’s good to form a habit of constantly drawing, doodling or sketching.
- Never copy the creative works of other artists but use their work as a guide if necessary or for inspiration.
- Become 'blank paper friendly'. It’s easy for artists to start off any sketch, so just ensure you get in there and sketch over and over again till you get your desired results.
- It is good and beneficial to you to become a critic of your own work. Concept artists must be comfortable about taking a hard look at their drawings to see what does not seem right. Change weak areas whilst improving on portions that already work within illustrations.
- As a video game designer, for example, focus on the planned layout and try to find and work out a composition that will make a captivating and impressive gaming environment.
In the game art and design industry, following these tips go a long way towards discovering your own personal styles and touches and ensures you have the skills to produce creations that will make the unreal seem real, enjoyable and believable.
© 2009 viryabo