- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork»
- Paper Creations
How to Create a Plaster and Paper Mache Mask
Soul Comes In All Colors Mask Postcard
Hiding Behind a Mask For Halloween
Are you ready for Halloween? How about making a plaster and paper mache mask? There are a few ways to do this. It can be a mask of some animal, a creepy creature or the profile of your face.
This is about how to make a mask using your own face as the mode. The instructions are below on how to make a cool looking mask.
What mask will you be hiding behind this Halloween?
The into photo is in my Sandyspider Gifts on Zazzle - Not So Famous Artist product line. It is a Soul Comes In All Colors Mask Postcard that can be found in the link below for products. The mask that my daughter made is the mask for these gifts.
See all my Zazzle products on Sandyspider Gifts Just click on the links that are shown here or type them in the search bar on Zazzle.
My products are copyrighted and have a digital thumb print on file. Though you have my permission to use them as an affiliate with a link. Postcards and posters are a great substitute for images to spice up your articles.
The Color of Soul - Who Said It Was Just One Color?
Color of Soul Gifts by the Numbers
- Soul Comes In All Colors Mask Mousepad
- Soul Comes In All Colors Mask Bag
- Soul Comes In All Colors Mask T-shirt
- Color of Soul Photo Sculpture
- Soul of Color Mask Print
See these five and many other gift items with soul!
A Quick and Painless Way to Make This Mask or Just Enjoy a Print
The 8"x10" photo sculpture on Zazzle shown above can be changed in to a mask. Cut off the bottom stand and cut out the eyes. Cut two long pieces of yarn and staple one on each side after it is lined up to where you need it.
Paper and Plastic Mask on Amazon
Paper Mache and Plaster Mask Ideas on Amazon
Above are plain paper mache mask which you can decorate and plaster face mode. The different ways to decorate these mask are with markers and paints. Or add different color newspaper strips or colored photos from pages out of magazines. Paste them on with Mod Podge glue, Elmer's or homemade glue.
Create a theme. Make your face mask look like an animal or add some blood paint or some ugly, hairy moles. Use your imagination.
These won't be a custom fit as they would if you made it completely by itself. But it is an easy way to create your mask.
Find many varieties and ideas to make these
How to Make a Mask Out of Plaster Bandages
Materials Needed to Make Mask
Open weave fabric impregnated with Plaster of Paris, which molds easily when moistened. Place individually each cut strip in a warm bowl of water and apply to face. These will automatically stick together.
Instructions on Making the Plaster Mask
The Fun Begins
1. Better to make this a two person operation, where the one person is laying down and the other person is doing the work. Our daughter did this without any help, even though we offered.
2. Make sure to clear an area and put down newspapers. Work in an area that can easily be cleaned.
3. Make sure that your face is clean of makeup and jewelry. Wear a t-shirt that you don't care if it gets messy. Pull back your hair and make sure that there absolutely no way that it will get in the way.
4. Spread a liberal coating of Vaseline all over your face. Our daughter didn't use Vaseline. She wrapped her entire head with plastic wrap and left a couple of breathing holes for her nostrils. Many people add straws in their nostrils for better breathing.
5. Cut 1" by 3" strips of the plaster gauze. Dunk each on in a bowl of warm water. Squeeze out the excess water. Start at the top of the face and work around the outline of the face. Overlap each strip.
6. Continue to fill in and thicken with a couple of layers. Next build up certain areas of the face and reinforce the nose. To build up the cheeks, use smaller strips.
7. Now that the gauze has been added, allow about 30-40 minutes. The mask will start pulling away from the face. At this time, the mask can be taken off. This is the time to examine it to see if there are any areas that need extra work. Add more gauze if necessary.
8. Allow 24 hours for the mask to completely dry.
Stainless steel offset scissors make it easy to tackle everything from big craft projects. This will be needed to cut the strips of bandages.
Make sure to protect your skin
Needed to protect the skin and make it easier for taking the mask off.
A cushion made of compressed polyester. A safer alternative to foam. Cut out enough of the foam to fill the inside of the mask without allowing it to stick to the mask. This will help keep its shape while drying.
Don't forget the glue
Crafters of any skill level can create anything from paper keepsakes to jewelry to home decor items. The original formula, all-in-one glue sealer and finish, can be used to decoupage on nearly any surface. Projects dry to a matte finish. Will be needed for applying the paper mache part of the mask.
Idea For Using This Diversity Mask
Decorating the Mask
Add the paper for a paper mache look
Once the mask has completely dried, it is time for the next step. Cut strips of newspaper of cartoons or what ever your theme is. Or cut strips out of magazines of photos and words, as our daughter did.
Glue the strips over the mask with Mod Podge glue. Our daughter had the clear and sprinkle glue. She went all out and decorated the inside as well.
Brittany was the only student who made a plaster and paper mache mask for her multicultural class. All the students took an easier route. The teacher asked if she could keep the mask. No other mask even came close to comparison. It did sit as a display until it was eventually given back. Throughout the high school years, much of her artwork sat in the display cases at the high school for all to see.
My Daughter's Mask Reminds Me of Mardi Gras.
Mardi Gras Mask - Wear these for Halloween too.
Thank You For Joining Me Here - Share This With A Good Friend
by Sandyspider Gifts on zazzle.com
See more gifts with this mask image from the link at the top of the page.
Attention Amazon and Zazzle Affiliates
Click on either of the two links to go to the Zazzle shop. As an affiliate make 15% on sales from your blog, article and website from Zazzle and up to 8% from Amazon when you find Sandy Mertens items.
Gifts Ideas and More - Comments are always welcome
- Living In a Haunted House
Only if you have lived in a haunted house, then you will not question that it does or does not exist. You will know.
- My Top Ten Vintage Halloween Pen Holders
Pen and pencil holders are the best way to not lose these items. If you are like me, you are forever searching for a pen. Enjoy these Vintage Halloween pen holders.
- Autumn and Halloween Greeting Cards
Fun to give out Autumn and Halloween greeting cards. Enjoy the colors of fall with the oranges in pumpkin and the changing colors of the leaves. Beautiful scenery cards for everyone.
- Halloween Porcelain Snowflake Ornaments
Porcelain snowflake ornaments for Halloween make wonderful gifts. Decorate your home and yard with these ornaments that have imagines of pumpkins, Jack o' lanterns, black cats, witches and more.
- Sexy Women of Halloween Vintage
Vintage era of the Victorian age has Halloween drawings and artwork of women that were called sexy of the time. These women show up on Halloween cards and other products here.
- Reusable Halloween Water Bottles
Reusable water bottles that are my choice of the top ten Halloween water bottles which you can take anywhere. BPA-free, lead-free and FDA Approved. Holds 21 oz. of water or cold beverage.
- My Top Ten Caps To Wear for Halloween
Halloween caps and hats are fun to wear on this special holiday from 3DRose. Many hat styles to choose from and designs of pumpkins, witches and a place to add your photo to the hat on Zazzle.
- Pumpkin Carving and Halloween Gifts
Free pumpkin carving designs and carving instructions. Great gift ideas for Halloween with going green with organic tote bags, shirts, posters, scary movies and much more for Halloween ideas.
- Pumpkin Mugs and Coffee Gift Baskets
Pumpkin and Jack o'Lantern designs on mugs along with gourmet coffee in gift baskets, make wonderful treat gifts for the older children and adults. Trick-or-Treat.
- Halloween Cards
Halloween is the 8th largest card-sending occasion. There are over 28 million Halloween cards sent out each year. Will you be one sending out a card?
- Vintage Halloween T-shirts
When going trick-or-treating with your child or grandchild, it is fun to dress up as well. Halloween T-shirts are always fun to wear.
- Vote for Favorite Pet Photos on Halloween Hats
Halloween hats are fun with favorite pet photos. Vote for your favorite. These are from the pets of Hubbers. Thank you so much for sharing them with me.
© 2010 Sandy Mertens