- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Can't Take My Eyes Off You Crochet Earrings Pattern
Original Crochet Design by Moira Durano-Abesmo
A beautifully textured circular motif that's amazing as earrings when crocheted in sewing thread. Try it with other yarns for a surprise!
The name of this motif was inspired when I was wearing this and I can't take my eyes off it while looking at the mirror!
One-Hour Earring to Crochet - Not a 30-Minute Pair of Earrings
This pattern was supposed to be a part of the 30-Minute Earring to Crochet. But it takes about 30 minutes to crochet each motif!
- 30-Minute Earrings to Crochet
This hub shows my collection of free crocheted lacy earrings pattern. The motifs for these earrings can be used for crocheting a scarf, afghan, etc. And they only take approximate 30-minutes to crochet using 3 strands of ordinary sewing thread.
This earring is part of the second batch of earrings I crocheted for my 30-Minute Earrings to Crochet series.
Materials and Tools - Materials
Use three strands of polyester sewing thread to crochet these earrings.
Use stainless fish hooks so your motif won't get tarnished by rust like mine did when we got hit with a very big flood.
No 10 steel hook is best to crochet these earrings.
These tapestry needles will help hide the loose ends effectively.
Using an up-and-down motion, use a brush to apply glue to the crocheted motif to harden it.
Measurements and Required Skill
When crocheted using the recommended materials and tools, the crocheted motif will have a DIAMETER of 5 cm.
These are the skills that you must possess if you are to crochet this motif.
If you don't have them yet, it's okay. You can practice them as you make this earrings.
- Double crochet, single crochet, picot, and puff
- Work in rounds
- Work multiple stitches in a single stitch or space
- Work with threads - If this is your first time to work with threads/ lace weight yarns, you might want to try crocheting the pattern with thicker yarns.
- Pencil Hook Grip - It is unusual for a pattern to call for a certain grip. However, the special stitch (BIG PUFF) used in this pattern can be achieved more efficiently using this particular style of hook grip. You'll need your middle finger to keep the loops from slipping out of the hook. With the Knife Hook Grip, I can't imagine how you'll manage.
If you can, THAT'S GREAT!
If you can't, you can opt to use the ordinary puff. But it won't pop out as much as the big puff.
I love these earrings so much. I feel so pretty when I wear them. I just wish the camera would see how pretty I am too.
Abbreviations and Special Stitch - Abbreviations
This free pattern uses American crochet notations, like all my free patterns. Actually all my patterns are free.
- ch - chain
- sl st - slip stitch
- dc - double crochet
- sc - single crochet
- sp - space
- y o - yarn over
Special Stitch: BIG PUFF
The giant puffs that draws your eyes to the earrings are not ordinary puffs. They have more than 9 loops on them. 17 loops, I think.
Here's how to crochet them:
(y o, insert hook in same stitch/sp, draw a loop through) 8x, y o draw through all loops on hook.
When you make the big puff, START LOOSE.
Otherwise, it'll be difficult to complete.
CROCHET PATTERN - Can't Take My Eyes Off You Motif
Foundation Ring: Ch 12, sl st to form ring. Ch 3, DO NOT TURN.
Round 1: Dc in 1st ch, (2 dc in next ch) 11x, sl st to top of ch-3, ch 1, TURN.
Round 2: (Sc on dc, big puff in next dc, ch 2) 12x, sl st to 1st sc, ch 1, TURN.
Round 3: (Ch 7, sc in next sc) 12x, sl st the next 5 ch, ch 1, TURN.
Round 4: (3 dc on sc, sc on central ch of next ch-7) 12x, sl st to 1st dc, TURN.
Round 5: (Ch 5, sl st in same sc, sl st 2 dc, ch 3, sl st in same dc, sl st dc and sc) 12x, sl st 3 ch of ch-5, ch 1, TURN.
Round 6: (Ch 5, 2 sc in next ch-5 sp) 12x, sl st to 1st sc.
Copyright Â© January 30, 2012. All Rights Reserved
Assembly, Finishing and Care - Assembly
- Crochet two (2) Can't Take My Eyes Off You motifs.
- Use a long-nosed pliers to attach each motif to a fish hook.
Finishing touches must be applied to the crocheted motifs AFTER it's assembly.
- Apply glue in one section.
- Use a paintbrush to spread the glue evenly. Move the paintbrush in an UP-AND-DOWN motion.
- Repeat Step 1 and 2 until all of the crochet motif had been painted with glue.
- Hang to dry. In less than an hour, the earrings will be ready for use.
- Store the earrings in a DRY area.
- Make sure the earrings remain FLAT while being stored.
- If it becomes DEFORMED for whatever reason, WASH the motif WITH WATER and HANG TO DRY again.
You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off you
The first pair of earrings (flesh colored) I crocheted with this design got tarnished after it got submerged in the flood. I hated that flood so much because it destroyed all my precious crochet books, which still breaks my heart.
And since this design is too big for the series I intended it for, I made it smaller. This smaller pattern will be my Circle Earring #5.