- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Different Parts of Sewing Machine and Their Uses
Parts of sewing machine - explained
A sewing machine like Brother SE400 consists of different parts and each of them plays a very important role. As obvious, this machine is used in embroidery and sewing purposes. It is operated by using the foot or by using electricity. Aside from the sewing machine needles, there are other parts of this machine and all of them have important tasks to do. I will give you the name of these parts and their corresponding functions
On the picture on the left you can see the best selling sewing machine for beginners on Amazon.com.
Best selling sewing machine accessories on Amazon.com
Parts of sewing machine and their functions
* Spool-pin – this is a 3 inches rod structure that touches the thread’s pool.
* Thread guide – its main use is to keep the thread on its appropriate position which is from the spool-pin up to the top thread tension. As I make an on-line search about it, I learned that there are 2 types of thread guides. The first one is the one which you can find in the middle of the take-up knob needles. This is a little loop that is made up of thin metal. The next one is the one that you can find at the top portion of the needle.
* High thread tension – this portion consists of 2 tiny rounded discs which are used in keeping the gradual taut look of the thread. It is also responsible for the regulation of the stitches and prevention of the loops formation within the fabric.
* Wire spring – it is a little bent wire that is situated at the surface of high thread tension. It is also used as the thread guide.
* Take-up lever – this portion moves down so that the thread will be loosened. This will serve as the preparation for the stitch formation. It would move up so that the slack will be removed when the stitch is already complete.
* Sewing machine needles – these are connected by loosening the clamp of the needle and pushing it high while making sure that its flat part is facing internally. When threading the sewing machine needles, you need to make sure that the thread will pass over the needle’s eye from the external part to the other side. You can buy this in different sizes and the most usual size used by other sewers is size #14. This is used for ordinary fabrics.
* Presser foot – it can be found at the lower portion of the needle. It is used to hold the fabric securely as the sewing process goes on.
* Feed dog – this is located at the back of the presser foot. It comes with saw-like edges and it pushes the fabric backwards while you sew.
* Stitch regulator – it is at the area close to the balance wheel. It comes with numbers and lever and it shows the total number of stitches for every inch.
* Bobbin winder – this is a short rod placed at the part close to the balance wheel. It is used on the bobbin’s thread.
* Clutch – it is another part of a sewing machine and it comes with a circled structure. It is situated at the middle of the sewing machine’s balance wheel. This will disengage the system of stitching once it is loosened.