My Dining Room Craft Storage Solutions
How You Can Create Space for Craft Storage that Suits a More Formal Dining Room Setting
Like many people, I don't have the luxury of having my own craft room. We simply do not have enough rooms in our house to set one aside for this so I've always had to work around it. For more than ten years, I made do with lots of plastic drawers and shelving solutions scattered around the home. It worked but it looked rather messy and I wasted so much time trying to find where everything was.
Eventually we saved up enough money to purchase a beautiful and large oak buffet and hutch (Welsh dresser for European readers) that formed part of the storage. And we then added on other oak pieces of furniture in our dining room so I could have a dining room / craft room combo. It looks wonderful and neat and you'd never know that all my stash is located in this room. Come see how we did it and how you could too.
All Personal Images belong to the author of this article: Marie Williams Johnstone
Solid Wood Furniture Looks Good in a Dining Room
And Can Hide All Your Art and Craft Items Without Looking Out of Place
For years I wanted my very own oak Welsh dresser (also known as a Buffet and Hutch) which I was planning to use as the main part of my craft storage in the dining room. It took over ten years to save up enough money for all the furniture I wanted due to more essential items like a new boiler and new car getting in the way! But we got there in the end.
This piece of furniture really suits a dining room location. You could use the outside of it to hold craft items too but I wanted it to appear as though it was just a regular piece of furniture on the outside and not give away what was lurking beneath!
The one I choose was about as large as I could get to fit in the space we had for it within our room. It has four medium sized drawers, 3 large drawers and 3 large cupboards as well as numerous shelving options. I love it to bits.
7 Tips on Storing Craft Items in a Dining or Formal Room
- Unless you want your stash on show, look for furniture that has plenty of drawer and cupboard space to hold your craft items.
- Look for the largest pieces of furniture that you can afford and that will fit comfortably in the space you have.
- A large buffet and hutch or solid wood Welsh dresser can be a big investment but will last a lifetime if you choose wisely.
- You can put a lot of craft items in deep, tall and wide backed bookcase. Use tubs and boxes to stack and store irregular shaped items on the shelves.
- Any furniture that is open fronted, such as a bookcase, can be covered with a fabric front to give it a neater and tidier appearance. We did this with our bookcase and secured it at the top edge with thick velcro panels for easy on/off and washing!
- A trunk style table can double up as a deep storage area for fabrics as well as being functional in the room.
- I also love the idea of a storage bench so that even somewhere you sit can hide a wealth of goodies inside!
A Sneak Peek Inside ...Click thumbnail to view full-size
The resulting room is one that really looks just like a normal plain dining and lounge space. On the surface everything looks pretty neat and tidy but there is a vast amount of materials, tools and equipment that are tucked into the buffet and hutch, the coffee table and the bookcase and sewing box which you can't see in this photo as they're on the other side across from the table.
Guests are always surprised when they see just how much is tucked away: stickers, glues, scissors, papers all sorted into colors, paints, cutters, fabrics, ribbons, felt, craft foam, embellishments, beads, rubber stamps ... The list is rather endless. But finally everything has a home and looks neat. I can craft at the big table if I need to although I prefer to take a large tray and sit wherever the sun is pouring in. I hope you've enjoyed reading my lens or article today, thanks for your visit. Feel free to leave a comment below for me.
Other Parts of Our Dining Room Craft StorageClick thumbnail to view full-size
How about a shelf unit that either comes with deep baskets or that can have basket storage added to it.
© 2014 Marie