- Arts and Design
★ DIY Dog Beds & Cat Toys | Homemade Pet Gifts and Fun Products ★
Crafts Tutorials & Ideas For Pet Treats
We all like to treat our pets, and if you are a crafter or you would like to get creative and save money by making your own DIY pet gift, you've come to the right place - just check out the many tutorials and how-tos listed on this page.
Projects and ideas include cat beds, dog toys, rat hammocks, kennels and baked pet treats. In fact the only limit is your imagination, so you if you want to build an obstacle course for your hamster, a maze for your rat and a dog bed made from a computer, you go for it!
I hope you manage to find plenty of inspiration here and I hope your pet is very happy with their homemade creations :)
Fun Top-Rated Pet Products
There are hundreds of products available to buy for your precious pets so it's very easy (and fun) to spoil them!
2 for the price of 1 with this cat scratcher and lounge; and the thousands of 5-star reviews tell you that this is a quality bit of kit.
Affordable, warm, cozy and low maintenance pet bed.
TV Dog Bed
Pet Bed & Pillow DIYs
- Office Chair Bed
Perfect for broken office chair recycling.
- End Table Pet Bed
A great idea for repurposing a wooden end table.
- Cat Nap Suitcase
Refashion a vintage suitcase into a pretty cat bed.
- Pallet Turned Dog Bed
Take an old wooden pallet and make a fun wheelie bed.
- Crochet Cat Nest
Lovely crocheted pouch for your cat to snuggle up in.
- Padded Pillow
How to made a large cushion filled with stuffing.
- Fleece Beanbag
Large circular bed filled with stuffing.
- Patchwork Sweater Bed
Use up old sweaters to make a lovely and soft pillow bed.
- 4 Poster Bed
Let your pet sleep in luxury and style.
- Shipping Pallet Dog Bed
Recycle a wooden pallet to make a floor level or suspended bed.
Pet Toy Roundup
- DIY Scratching Post
Durable and well made cat post made using heavy duty sisal rope.
- Cat Play House
Simple tube play station with carpet sections.
- T-Shirt Dog Rope
Braid together old stretchy t-shirts for an inexpensive rope toy.
- Cardboard Cat Climber
Fun two-story cat house made with cardboard boxes.
- Cat Shelf Hideouts
Shelves for your cats to play on, plus a sisal scratcher.
- Catnip Mice
Minimalist and modern style felt mice.
- Menswear Mouse Toys
Make little mice softies from men's shirts, suiting fabric etc.
- Fabric Scrap Toys
Funny toys made with old sweaters, feather boas and felt scraps.
Pirate Ship Cat Furniture
More Fun Toys & Projects
- Dog Gate
Construct your own attractive wooden gates.
- Agility Course
You can have loads of fun constructing obstacles with PVC pipe.
- DIY Pet Costumes
Plenty of ideas for making your own fun fancy dress costumes.
- Pup Mat
Make a pretty mat for under your food bowls, to replace boring towels.
- Doggie Dryer
A double layer dryer made from a beach towel.
- Folding Travel Bowl
Download the tutorial for making a handy collapsible water bowl.
- Sweater Dog Toys
Old sweaters can be given new life as bone shaped toys.
Dog Bed Cushion
Pet Biscuits & Treat Recipes
- Peanut Butter Biscuits
Yummy dog bone shaped oaty treats.
- Chicken a la Spinach
Luxury homemade dog food recipe.
- 2-Ingredient Dog Treats
Really easy to make - and the link to the 'foods to avoid' list is useful.
- Bacon Bark Sticks
What dog could say no to bacon!?
- Banana & Peanut Butter
Mix up your own doggy treats.
Dog cupcakes containing pumpkin, honey, peanut butter and more.
Tutorials for Cat & Dog Goodies
- Dog Collar and Leash
With ribbons, bow ties, pom-poms and bells!
- Swarovski Pet Bowl
Bowl and board for the pampered pet who has everything!
- Doggie Bow Tie
Adorable accessory made with fabric scraps.
- DIY Martingale Collar
2-part collars usually used for dog training.
- Pyrography Pet Bowls
Personalise your wooden pet bowls with a wood burning tool.
- Custom Pet Feeder
A sleek and useful feeder to keep dinnertimes tidier.
- Dog Feeding Station
A wood box organiser and dog bowl holder.
- Shrinky Dink Pet Tag
Add a custom made plastic tag to your pet's collar.
- Dog Sweater
Recycle an old sweater into a comfy and warm dog garment.
- Dog Treat Canisters
Cute and colorful storage containers for your pet's treats.
How To Make a Simple Braided Dog Toy
(Image credit: me)
For this DIY you will need:
* Material (fleece, t-shirt jersey, denim, canvas or towelling fabric work well)
* Scissors or a rotary cutter
* A ruler
* A pen that can be used to mark fabric
* An elastic band or hairband
...and 15 minutes of your time.
- First you will need to cut out 3 strips from your fabric so that each strip measures at least 50" long (although I would recommend 55"-60"), and approx. 3" wide.
- Put you elastic/hair band around the strips so that it is positioned right in the center and holds the strips together securely.
- Measure 10" from the band (marked 'a' on the diagram) in each direction and mark this distance on each of the 6 strips with your pen.
- Slide your band along so that it sits on one of these marks, making sure the strips are all aligned correctly.
- Now you need to braid from the band to the second place you have marked with your pen, so that you end up with 20" of braiding in the middle of the strips. Make sure that if you are using 3 different colors, that the strips end up in the same (color) order as they were when you began braiding.
- Remove the elastic band, twist the braided section into a loop and braid all 6 strips together by pairing up the strips by color so that you have 3 sections you can now braid as before. On the diagram, for instance, red strips marked 1 are paired up, as are the yellow strips marked 2 and the purple strips marked 3. If you are using one color you don't need to worry about matching up the right ones.
- Once you have braided to about 6" from the ends of the strips, tie a regular overhand knot and pull on each strip to tighten the knot as much as you can.
- Cut straight across all of the strips at least a few inches from the knot in order to neaten the end up and finish it of. That's it!
Please note that the toy should be disposed off if it starts to fall apart and your pet obviously should be stopped from eating any of the material :)
Homemade Pet Toys
More Cat & Dog Creative How-Tos
- Cat Tower
Super duper tower with scratching posts.
- Quilted Dog Coats
Coated linen makes the coat waterproof, whilst the fleece lining is cozy.
- Adjustable Collar
A clear step-by-step tutorial.
- Fancy Cat Collar
Cute accessory for fancy occasions.
- Mini Ranch House
How to build a proper home for your pooch.
- Pet Warmer
Heatable body warmer pillow project.
- Modern Dip-Dyed Dog Leash
Cool ombre rope leash with leather sections.
- Circus Tent Kennel Cover
Adorable sewing project for making a wire cage a lot more homely.
- Kimono Dog Harness
Free pattern for a comfy body harness.
DIY Dog Toy
Crafts for Hamsters, Rats & Other Small Pets
DIY Dog Treat Videos
More Ideas & Inspiration
- Incorporating Pets in your Home
Interesting ideas for how to include pets in your home décor.
- Wine Barrel Bed
Cool idea for repurposing a wooden wine barrel.
- Table Bed
An easy and straightforward way to make a four poster bed.
- Homemade Cat Tower
No specific instructions, but a great idea to inspire you.
- Cat Condo
An awesome tower and hideaway for your cat.
A great place to browse the best of pet DIYs.