The Each 1 Teach 1 Crocheting Challenge!
Share Your Love Of Crochet With Someone!
If you're a crocheter, you might have received a huge gift from someone who taught you to crochet! It might have been your mom, a girlfriend, an elderly aunt, maybe your grandma. They took time out of their life to spend time giving you that gift. Is it time to pay it forward?
I'm willing to bet that someone at some point in your life has admired your crocheting. Maybe they even said "WOW! I wish I could do that!" Well, here's your chance to teach them with the "Each 1 Teach 1 Crocheting Challenge! I'm creating this challenge to inspire my fellow crocheters to share their craft with others. I hope you will take the challenge and leave your name in the comment section below! Later on, share your experiences there too!
I'll give you some ideas on where to find people to teach if you don't know someone already. I'll also give you a couple of teaching tips you might find handy.
Just think... that homeless lady wearing a donated crocheted cap to keep warm wouldn't have it unless someone had taught the donor to crochet! You CAN change the world with crocheting, and by spreading the craft to others!
In this photo, the one picture in existence of me crocheting, I'm sitting in the living room of my best friend Sally's house. There, 33 years ago, I taught her how to crochet. She took off and went absolutely crazy with the craft, and countless nieces and nephews, and my own babies received the most incredible baby blankets. She's also made quite a number of doilies and afghans for her own home and for gifts, and an infinite number of crocheted hand towels given every year for treasured Christmas gifts. I'm so proud of her and her creations!!
What You Will Need To Teach Someone
Yarn in worsted weight
A crochet hook preferably with a grip handle in size H
One of my free crochet patterns (see index link below) or your favorite beginner pattern
Great Crochet Accessories From Amazon - My Hand Picks!
I own and LOVE this product! It keeps my thread nice and clean and when I take a project with me, I can tuck it in my purse without getting thread tangled up in everything!
Get This Tote Bag & Show Your Crochet Pride! - Or choose from dozens of other items from personal accessories to household items!
I've done a number of illustrations with a crochet theme and put them on all the hundreds of items available at cafepress.com! You can click the link below to go to my CafePress store, then click on the Crochet category. ALL proceeds of these items directly support the vet fund for our Miniature Schnauzer Rescue! Thanks for your support.
Own and love this, plan to buy another one! So very lightweight and convenient and holds a LOT of yarn or 6-8 big crochet thread balls! Plenty of room for carrying a large project. LOVE THIS!
Where To Find Your Students
- Try contacting the administrator or activities director of your local retirement living complex or nursing home - they are always looking for craft activities for the residents!
- Ask an elementary school principal if you could do a crocheting demonstration for the students - perhaps one class - and then if a student shows interest in private lessons, proceed with arranging them.
- Post an ad on your NextDoor community website (www.nextdoor.com) or on Craigslist offering to teach Crochet (remember, you CAN charge for lessons if you want!)
- Make a little bulletin board sign to put up at a place you visit frequently (i.e. Bingo, your church, your gym, and so on).
- You get the idea - just spread the word!
I own and love every size of this crochet hook. They allow me to keep crocheting despite severe arthritis in my hands.
What Do You Think Of The Each 1 Teach 1 Challenge? - Come On, You Can Tell Us!
What Are Your Thoughts On This Challenge?
Tips For Teaching Crochet
- Be patient
- Ask them how they learn best - by reading, by watching, by hearing... then try to adapt your teaching method to work with their choice. Some might learn best with a book, some with video, some by being shown personally, and so on.
- Allow them to grasp their hook the way it feels best to them (I fought with this one!)
- Applaud them when they complete a successful stitch!
- Show and tell, then let them do it
- Start with the basic chain stitch, then move to Single Crochet
I'm kind of proud of this e-book because... I wrote it! You'll find over 20 patterns for floral decorations, ornaments, and mini doilies, many previously unpublished!
Learn Crochet On YouTube - Right Or Left Handed!
These are Clover's steel hooks for thread crochet. They allow me to keep crocheting in thread despite severe arthritis in my hands.
Honored To Be An Associate Professional Member of Crochet Guild of America!
"Crochet thread is the ink with which I will sign my life." –SheilaSchnauzies