Fun Frame Craft for Children
Classroom Party Craft for Small Children
I always love the crafts my children bring home. The crafts I always hold close to my heart are the ones that are personal. This is a fun activity for any school, home party or just a rainy afternoon. It is simple and easy for the children. There are also several variations depending on the age of the group. This is perfect for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentines day or any other holiday activity.
Frame Craft Supplies
Supplies needed to make a personalized photo frame
This is an inexpensive and easy craft you can do with your children or with a class.
- Unfinished wood frames-This type of frame typically costs in $1-$2 range. You can find them at craft stores like Michaels or I have a few listed below from Amazon.
- Craft Paint - Select a paint that is age appropriate. My favorite is a washable variety. The color will not be vibrant but it also will not permanently ruin furniture or clothing. Factor in the age and skill level of the children when selecting the paint.
- Craft Paper - This is needed to cover the work space. Newspaper works just as well.
- Brushes - I use foam brushes because they are easy for the children to use and paint well. You can use any brush type. Small shaped sponges are also fun if you are allowing the children to paint their own frame.
- Foam Stickers-Foam sticker are fun and easy to peel for ages as young a 3. They come in a variety of different themes and are great for any type of party.
- Camera - Take photos of all the children a few hours/days in advance and have them developed in Sepia Tone. It only takes a few minutes and you can send them on-line to a local photo development store like Walmart or CVS and have them printed within an hour.
- If you are allowing small children to paint their own frames have smocks or old t-shirts handy.
Prepare the area by laying down the craft or newspaper. Paint the frames and allow to dry based on the recommended drying time of the paint you selected. Once dry, adhere the foam stickers to the frames to decorate.
Search for Frame Supplies
Craft supplies can be found at local department stores such as Walmart, Target, Michaels and Hobby Lobby. There is also a great variety of craft supplies on Amazon. Search here to find additional supplies not listed in this article.
You can alter this craft based on the age of the children.
- Pre-paint the frames for smaller children or for shorter craft times.
- Use shaped sponges as paint brushes for fun effects.
- For older children use fun objects and glue to decorate the frame such as buttons, ribbons and beads.
- Take the photos based on the theme of your frame.
- Plan how much time you have for the craft. Allowing the children to paint and both decorate will take longer times than having the freames pre-painted and ready.
Purchase Wood Frames
If you do not have time to paint and decorate wood frames, consider using foam frames. Place magnets on the back and they make cute refrigerator frames!
There are tons of options on Amazon for foam stickers. There are stickers for themes like Valentines Day, St Patricks Day, Christmas, Zoo Animals, Under the sea to name a few.
Painting Craft Supplies on Amazon
Be creative when painting. Standard brushes are great but foam shapes and brushes can add dimension and creativity.