- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Eco-Friendly Halloween Ghost Craft for Cub Scout/Girl Scouts
I came up with the design for these Scaredy-Ghost Halloween magnets based on a similar Santa Claus craft I had seen for Christmas. This super-simple craft is so quick and easy to make, and is great low-impact project for the environment, since it reuses aluminum cans and used promotional refrigerator magnets! This craft is a nice take-it-home project for your class Halloween party. It is also a good craft to make at a fall cub scout jamboree or church youth class and can complement other activities you might plan, since it makes only a few minutes to make. Why not make a whole bunch of these using glow-in-the-dark paint and hang them from a tree in your yard on Halloween night? They will make an eerie noise in the wind and be the talk of the neighborhood!
We made this craft for my daughter's third grade Halloween party with 24 kids. It took only about 5-10 minutes to complete and was a big hit with both boys and girls. The craft was easy to start, finish, and clean up.
This craft requires that an adult do some preparation in a well-ventilated area.
- One clean aluminum beverage can (tab removed) per ghost
- Wiggly craft eyes, different sizes
- White spray paint (glow-in-the-dark preferred) (get two or three cans of spray paint for 24 ghosts)
- Hot glue or white craft glue
- Small paint brushes or q-tips
- Black water-based acrylic craft paint
- Flat refrigerator magnets (recycle your old promotional business magnets, or purchase a roll of magnets.)
- At least 48 hours before you plan to make the craft, collect and crush your dry aluminum cola cans with your foot. Collect more cans than you need to prepare, because some of the cola cans will form sharp points at their creases. These sharp edges can pose a cutting hazard. Recycle the cans you don't use, of course!
- Lay the cans out on a tarp or on some trash bags and spray paint them white. After they have dried (usually after about an hour), turn them over and spray paint the unpainted sides. Allow them to completely dry. Make sure they don't require an extra coat of paint.
Finish the project
- Paint the inside of the can opening and around the edges of the mouth hole with black craft paint to form a screaming ghost mouth. See the example photo above.
- Hot glue the eyes next to the mouth. Note that the eye placement will alter the look of the craft. Be creative and use different sizes of wiggle eyes.
- Use a hot glue gun to attach a magnet to the back of the can.
Suggestions for Working With Large Groups
Use disposable medicine cups or 4-oz. Dixie cups to hold glue and paint at different tables. The amount of black paint required to make this craft is very, very small, so a little goes a long way.