- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
How to Crochet a Simple Decorative Mixed Color Centerpiece
How to Decorate Any Plain Jane Space
If you have a table, dresser, dressing table or shelf that’s, what I call ‘blah-looking’, then this ‘Simple Decorative Mixed Color Centrepiece’ will add some life to it.
I came across a booklet from Linhas Circulo, a Brazilian company that makes crochet thread, with 40 interesting crochet motif patterns, most of which I wanted to crochet all at the same time. Lucky for me, the 1st 3 rounds of each pattern are written in both Spanish and English and the rest of the Rounds were clearly laid out in Crochet Diagrams.
This centerpiece is from that very booklet (no. 12 in the booklet) and it measures 16 centimeters in diameter when completed.
Style Options with the Mixed Crochet Motif
What I love about this crochet motif pattern is that it is very versatile! So you can use it by itself or you can join several crocheted motif pieces to make a large piece. (You can check the Assembly Diagram below for one idea of how you can join 4 of these pieces together to make a much larger piece).
You also have the option of making the centrepiece all in one colour (as was done by Linhas Circulo in all white), mixing several separate colours, using multicolor thread or using a multi shade thread (like I did in this project). You can substitute my colors with the colors that YOU love to make one for your own home or as a gift for someone else.
If you’re frightened by crochet diagrams, like I was when I started crocheting, you don’t have to worry because for your ease, I wrote out each of the other Rounds (Round 4 to 9) that were in Diagram format in the booklet.
What You Will Need For This Project
- 2 or more Skeins of Classic 10, 100% Mercerized Cotton, Crochet Thread in your favourite colours.
- 1 Amazing & Unusual Crochet Pattern or Book
- 1 1.5 mm (2) Crochet Hook
- 1 pair of Scissors
1. Assemble all of the material and tools that you will need to make your centerpiece. Your crochet thread in your favourite colour or colours (I used Size 10, 100 mercerized cotton, crochet thread in cream and a multi shade green), your crochet hook (I used a 1.5 mm (2) Crochet Hook) and your scissors for cutting the crochet thread.
2. To make Rounds 1 to 4 of the ‘Decorative Mixed Colour Centrepiece:Begin with colour A (for my project, I used Cream thread), ch 10 and join into a ring with 1 sl st.Round 1: Ch 3, 23 dc in ring; 1 sl st to 3rd of 3 initial ch.Round 2: Ch 4, *1 dc into next dc, 1 ch*; repeat from * to * to end and make 1 sl st to 3rd of 4 initial ch.Round 3: Ch 5, *1 dc into next dc, 2 ch*; repeat from * to * to end and make 1 sl st to 3rd of 5 initial ch.Round 4: Ch 6, *1 dc into next dc, 3 ch*; repeat from * to * to end and make 1 sl st to 3rd of 6 initial ch.
3. To make Round 5 of the ‘Decorative Mixed Color Centerpiece’:Attach colour B with sl st at joining (I used a multi shade Green thread – i.e. different shades of green). Ch 3, leaving loop of each on hook work 3 dc into next 3 ch space, yo, draw through all loops on hook – 3 dc ‘closed together’.*Ch 5, leaving loop of each on hook work 4 dc into next 3 ch space, yo, draw through all loops on hook – 4 dc ‘closed together’*.Repeat from * to * to end, ch 5 and make 1 sl st to top of initial 3 dc ‘closed together’. Fasten off.
4. To make Rounds 6 & 7 of the ‘Decorative Mixed Colour Centrepiece:Round 6: Attach colour A to middle of any ch-5 arch with 1 sl st (I used Cream thread). From middle of ch-5 arch, ch 11.*Work dtr into next ch-5 arch, ch 6 *; repeat from * to * to end and make 1 sl st to 5th of 11 initial ch.Round 7: Ch 3, work 6 dc into next ch-6 arch.*Work 7 dc into next ch-6 arch*; repeat from * to * to end and make 1 sl st to 3rd of 3 initial ch. Fasten off.
5. To make Rounds 8 & 9 of the ‘Decorative Mixed Color Centerpiece:Round 8: Attach colour B with 1 sl st to 4th dc of dc-7 cluster (I used the multi shade Green thread). From the same 4th dc, ch 15. *Work 1 dc into 4th dc of next dc-7 cluster, ch 12 *; repeat from * to * to end and make 1 sl st to 3rd of 15 initial ch.Round 9: 1 sc, *work 5 sc into next ch-12 arch; ch 3, work 5 dc into same ch-12 arch, 1 sc in next dc *. Repeat from * to * to end and fasten off to complete.Now you can use your ‘Decorative Mixed Color Centrepiece’ to spruce up that plain shelf, dresser, dressing table or shelf in any part of your home.
6. This is a photo of the plain white pattern from the Linhas Circulo booklet. I spruced mine up a bit with the multi shade green crochet thread and adding cream crochet thread as well.
7. This is how the Assembly Diagram was presented in the booklet. It shows how to make a larger centerpiece by joining 4 of these motifs together. It also shows the stitch diagram for the entire pattern. Only Rounds 1 to 3 were written out in words.
TO CROCHET or NOT TO CROCHET
Do you think YOU can attempt this crochet project now?
8. See your Shopping List AND 7 SHORT Video Tutorials with ALL of the Crochet Stitches & Techniques that you will need to successfully complete this project.
(Photo Credit: This image is compliments Villanova University Digital Library/flickr.com (Creative Commons) https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=how+to&l=comm&ct=0&mt=photos&adv=1)
9. How to Slip Stitch
10. How to Single Crochet (sc)
11. How to Double Crochet (dc)
12. How to Crochet a Double Treble (dtr)
13. 'How to Fasten off in Crochet' by Crochet Hooks You
14. How To Change Color Without Knots
15. How to Join 3 Double Crochet Together - Crochet Geek