- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Knifty Knitter Book Cover Pattern - Free!
Knitted Book Cover Made on the Knifty Knitter Long Looms!
Hand loomed bible, book or journal covers make special gifts. I made one for family members as well as myself. This pattern uses the Knifty Knitter pink long loom and worsted weight yarn. For a larger book, you could use the yellow loom. The tube knit cover slips over the book and can be adorned with pockets, jewels, beads, buttons and other items to personalize the finished look.
The pattern below fits a book that is approximately 9 inches tall. If you have a tall book, you may want to use the yellow loom instead. The yellow loom works for a book approximately 1 foot tall.
What You'll Need to Get Started:
Supplies for a Knitted Book Cover
- Pink Knifty Knitter Long Loom
- Skein of Bulky or Super Bulky Weight Yarn
- Ribbon, Twine, Leather Straps, or other Materials Used to Make Ties
- Decorative Buttons, Sequins, Leather, Beads, Shells, Jewels, or Other Decorative Materials
- Yarn Needle
Free Journal Cover Pattern - Get Started Making Your Knitted Book Cover
- Tube knit around the loom until the knit reaches 9 inches, or the desired width of the book.
I prefer the ewrap stitch for this project, but any stitch can be used. If you are brand new to loom knitting here are ewrap instructions. There is also a You Tube video below that will show you how to make this stitch.
- Panel knit for 5 rows. Panel knitting is done by knitting back and forth one side of the loom only. This panel covers the spine of the book.
- Sew twice through each loop on the side of the loom that you did not panel knit using a yarn needle. This forms the first pocket for the book cover to slide into.
- Returning to the side where you panel knitted, wrap the entire loom again. Tube knit until it reaches 9 inches (or the width used in step 1.) This creates the pocket for the second side of the book to slide into.
- Sew closed the ends of the knit using a mattress stitch and a yarn needle. To finish tie a knot and hide the loose thread in the pocket of the book cover.
- Add ribbon, twine, leather straps, etc to tie the book closed. Embellish with favorite décor.
Video instructions for how to knit on the Knifty Knitter using the Ewrap:
How to Ewrap from You Tube
Embellishment Ideas for a Knitted Book Cover
Knitted Book Cover Ideas for Color Choice and Décor
All these ideas are taken from patterns and knitted book covers for sale at ETSY.com:
Book Cover Idea
This is a bit of visual inspiration to spark your creativity. This bright and fuzzy book cover with over-sized buttons could easily be loomed using fun fur yarn.
Book Cover Idea 2
This earthy book cover is vor sale at Etsy.com. I thought it might help spark some ideas as well. It has a rustic charm with multicolored earth tone yarn. Leather ties are used here to keep the book closed.
The book cover is made on these long looms. You can buy the pink or yellow loom as part of this set.
Long Looms for Sale at Amazon.com
The long Knifty Knitter brand looms by Provo Craft. Any of the following long looms could be used to make this book cover pattern.
The yellow loom is the medium sized loom in the set and can be used for larger book covers.
The small 10 inch loom is pink and used to make this journal cover pattern.
This is the large long loom, you probably won't ever made a book cover out of it, but it's handy for large flat knit panels
This is the longest loom and it's usually for blankets.
Make a Bookmark with the Knifty Knitter Straw Weaving Tool
So after you've dressed up the outside of the book, check out my homemade bookmark. I made this using the straw weaving tool.
The Knifty Knitter
Follow The Knifty Knitter on Facebook
If you enjoyed this book cover pattern for the 10 inch long loom and you'd like to see more patterns for the Knifty Knitter brand looms in your Facebook feed, please like our page:
Questions, Comments, Ideas? Leave them all here...