How to Make a Knifty Knitter Hat - Free Pattern for Beginners
Loom Knit Hat Pattern
Free Hat Pattern for the Knifty Knitter Looms
This is a basic hat pattern that a beginner can make quickly and easily on the Knifty Knitter round looms. It can be made in only an hour and is a good starter pattern. Below is the loom you will want, depending on the size of hat you are making.
- blue round loom for preemie, infant and doll hats
- red round loom for a baby or small child
- green round loom for older children or small adults
- yellow round loom for adult size hats
Note: Wrapping the loom loosely will make knitting much easier!
You will need:
- 2 skeins of worsted weight yarn. (A stretchy yarn works best.)
- Round Knifty Knitter loom of choice
- Knifty Knitter hook
- Yarn Needle
How to Make a Knifty Knitter Hat - Beginner Instructions
- Holding 2 yarns together as if they are one, Cast On by e wrapping each peg of the loom once in a clockwise direction.
- Ewrap the loom again. Knit off by using the Knifty Knitter hook to bring the bottom loop over the top loop of each peg and releasing it toward the inside of the loom. Repeat this step 3 times.
- Beginning with the first peg of the round, lift the loop gently off the peg trying not to twist it. Place the loop on the second peg. Remove the loop from the 3rd peg in the row and place it on the 4th peg. Continue around the loom lifting every other loop off it's peg and placing it on the next peg. When you've reached the end of the row, knit off lifting the bottom loop over the top loop of each peg that has 2 loops.
- Ewrap all the pegs of the loom. Knit off all pegs that have two loops.
- Ewrap the loom. Knit off.
- Repeat steps 3 -5 until the hat reaches the desired length. (For a preemie hat, steps 3-5 should be repeated approximately 4 times.)
- Cut the working yarn 1 foot from the hat. Thread the working yarn through a yarn needle. Lift each loop off the peg and sew through it with the yarn needle. After all the loops have been removed from the loom, turn the hat inside out and and pull the working yarn tightly until it draws the top of the hat closed. Tie it off and cut the remaining working yarn. Work any loose end into the inside of the knitted hat.
- Turn the hat right side out and you are finished!
Loom Knit Hat Pattern with a Brim
Knifty Knitter Hat with Brim - How to Make a Knifty Knitter Hat
Here's another hat pattern that shows how to make a basic hat with a brim. The knit is doubled up as if making a hem in sewing. This gives a double thickness to the brim area and keeps if from rolling. Single panel knit without a brim will roll around the bottoms. The rolling is a unique look and sometimes desired, but the brim shown here offers a more finished style. You can find the instructions to make a brim hat at the link below or in the video.
Loom Knit Hat with Brim
This adorable cupcake hat is from the "This Mama Knits" blog. It's made with Caron Simply Soft yarn and the green round loom.
Loom Knit Hat with Beads
The yellow hat shown above was done on the red round loom, so it is the right size for a baby. The picture of the blue loom shows how the beads are added to the yarn while looming. The pattern is unique in that it shows a new loom knitter the technique for stringing beads onto the yarn before wrapping and knitting to create a knit project embellished with beads. Creative! You can apply this technique to many other knitted items including shrugs and scarves.
Did you understand the Knifty Knitter hat pattern?
Hat with Vertical Stripes - Preemie Size
Knifty Knitter Round Looms
The round loom set has 4 sizes of looms to ensure you have the perfect size for your next hat. You can buy them individually, or as a set. The yellow loom makes large adult hats. The green loom makes small adult and children's hats. The red loom makes baby hats. The blue loom is a bit too small for hat making, but is sometimes used to make hats for dolls.
© 2012 hsschulte