- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Make a Knifty Knitter Scarf - Figure 8 Wrap
Eight Wrap Scarf
Free Scarf Pattern for the Knifty Knitter Looms
By using the figure 8 wrap, you can complete a scarf in only a few hours. Use one strand of yarn for a light airy spring scarf, or two strands of yarn for a heavier winter scarf.
As with any new wrap you are learning on the Knifty Knitter, it takes time to get the feel for how it's done. Once you have wrapped the Knifty Knitter in the figure 8 a few times, you'll be able to do it in your sleep. The photo on the right was done with one strand of Red Heart Super Saver acrylic yarn and the pink long Knifty Knitter loom.
Figure Eight Wrap on the Knifty Knitter Loom - Instructions for Making the Figure 8 Wrap
- Pull the yarn back and forth across the loom in the pattern shown. You can enlarge the photo by clicking it. It helps to hold the loom vertically as you wrap. Pull the yarn over the top of the peg, then around the outer edge, then inward on the loom. After wrapping the row, loop the last peg only once.
- After the loom has been wrapped twice, (each peg will have two loops) knit off by lifting the bottom loop over the top loop and off the peg using the Knifty Knitter hook. Continue knitting off around the loom until there is only one loop left on each peg.
- Wrap the loom with the figure 8 wrap again, then knit off. (Continue this step until the scarf reaches approximately 5 feet in length.)
8 Wrap on a Loom
Knifty Knitter Long Loom Set
Figure Eight Scarf
How to Knit a Scarf
on the Knifty Knitter
Basic directions to prepare to knit any scarf on the Knifty Knitter loom are to:
1. Tie a slipknot.
2. Attach it to the anchor peg at one end of the loom.
3. Wrap the loom twice using the steps listed above.
4. Knit off using the Knifty Knitter hook.
5. After knitting, wrap the loom one more time and knit off again. Continue this step until your scarf reaches the desired length. (Sixty inches is a good length for a scarf.)
6. After the 4th or 5th row, release the slip knot from the anchor peg to prevent it from pulling the knit.
7. Bind off the scarf to remove it from the Knifty Knitter when it is the desired length by starting at the end of the loom away from the working yarn. Remove the loops from the pegs one at a time. Use a crochet hook to pull the 1st loop through the 2nd, then the 2nd through the 3rd, following the path of the wrap as you go.
More Photos of the 8 Wrap Scarf - Click on a thumbnail below to enlarge it.
How to Do the Figure Eight Wrap on a Knifty Knitter Loom - YouTube Video How To
If you are having trouble with the eight wrap, this YouTube video will help you get started.
Knifty Knitter Long Looms from Amazon.com
The long loom set is a great value.
Do You Like the Figure 8 Wrap?
If you have questions or comments about this page, please leave them below and I will answer as quickly as possible.
© 2011 hsschulte