How To Make Halloween Cards
Halloween Card Making 101
Making Halloween cards is one of the fun activities you can do in the autumn. Of course, you can make your own greeting cards anytime throughout the year, but autumn is an especially good time as you start to spend more time indoors again, and the holiday season is right around the corner. This is something that you can even get your kids to help out as you spend quality time with them.
Every year when Fall descends, and I can start to smell the autumn leaves and fresh air, I think to myself: hmm... Halloween is coming soon. This is the time when my wife starts planning what kind of "goodie bags" she would make to share with friends and the neighborhood kids. She also would start making Halloween cards to go along with those treats and fulfilling Halloween card orders.
My wife has been making greeting cards for a few years now, and in the Fall she receives many orders for cards. Some even ask her to teach classes on how to make cards, and she is always excited to share her passion and love of making greeting cards with others. She always says custom made cards are 100% better than store-bought cards as they convey the message from the creators' hearts and warm the hearts of the recipients. I certainly share that sentiment as time, effort, creativity, and love is poured into each card she makes. I love her to death :)
Over the last couple of years I have learned a thing or two by watching her make greeting cards. As Halloween is my favorite holiday, I am excited to be able to make my first Halloween card this year, and I am going to share with you how to do it step by step. Don't worry, there is nothing too complicated as I am a beginner myself.
All photos on this page were taken by me, aidenw, and may not be used without permission.
Halloween card making ideas - Making a Halloween card step by step
1. Put your ideas on paper first.
I have learned that it's best to first put my design ideas on paper to see if everything will fit together. I generally get my ideas from books, from actual houses with decorations, as well as from other people's creations online.
To start with, I plan on the colors (including the ink), the types of papers needed, and the combination of textures. Then I decide on the embellishments, images, and the message I want to put on the card. I may change the design slightly as I go along based on the availability of materials, but most of the time I stick to the original design.
2. I always make sure that the colors of the paper/cardstock go well with each other. Bold colors like orange is great for Halloween cards, but for certain occasions, I also use simple and soft colors to match it.
Tools and materials for making a Halloween card
Halloween art stamps
Halloween card making steps continued
3. I always cut the paper or cardstock with a paper trimmer to ensure correct measurements. For this example, the base card measures 4.25" x 5.50"; the layering pieces is also 5.50" wide, but the length varies - I would just eyeball it to make sure they are in good proportion.
Making a Halloween card - preparing the pieces
4. I learned that the ribbon should always be glued to the papers before the paper is glued to the base cardstock. In this case I've chosen white satin ribbon to give it a contrast and shimmer-like effect to the base cardstock, which is black.
The Halloween card with ribbon on
A punched-out piece of the Halloween card
5. Next, I stamped the images and message, punch out the pieces, and using sponge daubers I created a shadow effect on the sides of the papers. Once all of those steps were done, I sticked them together using adhesive, and on some I used stamping dimensional to give it a 3D effect.
Attaching a piece on to the card
Halloween card - almost finished
Halloween card making - final step
6. Lastly, I never leave the inside page blank, especially for Halloween cards. It's like giving a final "stroke" to the creation.
Hope you enjoyed these simple instructions on how to make a Halloween card, and will try to make one yourself.
Video on how to make a Halloween card
Have a hauntingly pleasant experience making your own Halloween cards!
Halloween card poll
Where do you usually get your Halloween cards?
Have you ever made your own Halloween cards? Share your experiences with us or just let us know you dropped by and found this page helpful.