How to Make Pom Poms and Tassels With the Knifty Knitter Pom Pom Maker
Tassel and Pom Pom Make with the Knifty Knitter
Make a Pom Pom or Tassel with the Knifty Knitter
With the Knifty Knitter pom pom maker, you can make pom poms for topping off knitted hats. You can also make tassels in a variety of lengths with this handy tool. The tassels work well on the bottom edge of shawls. Below you will find step-by-step directions to get you started making both pom poms and tassels.
How to Make a Pom Pom with the Knifty Knitter
- The pegs are stored in the bottom of the pom pom maker. Take them out by lifting the cover off the bottom.
- Place each of them in a hole on the pom pom maker. Space them the width of the pom pom you wish to make.
- Cut a piece of yarn about 12 inches long. Tie it around the pom pom maker, centering it between the two metal pegs. (This yarn will be the yarn you use to tie the pom pom yarns together.)
- Wrap your working yarn around the top ball of the pom pom maker. It doesn't need to be tied in a knot. You are simply securing it here temporarily.
- Wrap the working yarn around the pegs, working continuously in a spiral. There is no specific number of times that you must wrap, but the more times you wrap the fuller the finished pom pom will be. I like to wrap to the top of the pegs and the push the wrapped yarn down. Wrap more and continue doing this until you have reached the tops of the pegs and can't push the yarn down any further.
Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Making Pom Poms! - How to Make a Pom Pom by Picture (Click the thumbails below to see the steps.)
How to Make a Pom Pom with the Knifty Knitter Tool
Video Instructions to Make a Pom Pom - How to Make a Pom Pom on YouTube
I created this YouTube video to take the mystery out of making pom poms. It walk you through the written instructions above. Making a tassel is very similar to making a pom pom. The pegs are placed farther apart and only one end of the yarn is cut. I hope you enjoy the video. Please leave a comment.
The Knifty Knitter Pom Pom Maker at Amazon - Buy the pom pom maker at Amazon.com
Amazon has this pom pom maker in new condition at a reasonable price. You can also find it on eBay.
How to Make a Tassel on the Pom Pom Maker
- Remove the metal pegs from storage located at the bottom of the pom pom maker. Place them in 2 holes of the pom pom maker. The distance between the 2 pegs should be the length of the desired tassel.
- Wrap the working yarn once around the ball at the top of the pom pom maker. This secures the yarn in place as you work. There is no need to tie a knot.
- Working in a spiral motion, wrap the yarn around the metal pegs. Continue wrapping until the yarn wound on the pegs is the thickness of your desired tassel.
- Cut a 12 inch piece of yarn. Using your fingers, or a yarn needle, feed this yarn through the middle of the yarn wrapped around the pegs. Feed the yarn under one side of wrapped yarn. Pull it down until it is located next to the bottom peg and tie it in a tight knot, gathering the wrapped yarn together as you tie it. This is the top of your tassel.
- Clip the yarn wrapped around the ball and remove the yarn from the pegs.
- At the bottom of the tassel (the end that hasn't been tied together) clip the loops of yarns.
- At the top of the tassel (the end that has been tied together) tie a piece of yarn around the outside of the gathered yarn. Do this about half an inch below the top of the tassel. Secure it with a tight knot.
- Trim the ends of all yarns to match the length of the other yarn strands.
Vote for Your Favorite!
Which do you prefer, pom poms or tassels?
Bunny Tote Pattern
Patterns that Use the Knifty Knitter Pom Pom Maker
© 2012 hsschulte