- Arts and Design
How to Transfer an Image With Mod Podge
Transferring an Image is Easy with Mod Podge!
Transferring an image to any hard surface is easy using Mod Podge!
What is Mod Podge? Mod Podge is basically just a very thick white glue that dries clear so it's a fantastic tool for any kind of transfer to another surface.
You can transfer photos, pictures and clip art that you find on your computer to any surface. Just make sure the images you select are not the property of someone else.
In this lens I will share with you just exactly how to use Mod Podge to transfer images onto a hard surface. The craft projects you can make using Mod Podge as a transfer tool are endless!
Photo transferred to wood using Mod Podge - This gives the photo such a rustic appeal!Click thumbnail to view full-size
How to Use Mod Podge to Transfer an Image
There are many uses for Mod Podge in craft projects. One of the reasons Mod Podge is so great is that it dries clear.
Mod Podge is basically a thick white glue. All you have to do to transfer an image with Mod Podge is:
1. Paint a thick coat of Mod Podge onto the surface you are using for your craft project.
2. Take your image and place it face down into the wet Mod Podge.
3. Using a flat surface, such as an old credit card, swipe the back of the face down image and smooth it out.
4. Let the picture dry into the Mod Podge overnight.
5. Take a wet rag or paper towel and rub it gently over the back side of the picture that's been dried onto the craft surface. You will see the image come through the wet paper.
6. Let the water sit on the paper for a minute or two. Then gently start rolling your fingertips over the paper to begin the process of removing the paper layer by layer.
7. It might take doing step #6 a few times before the paper backing is completely removed, and you also might wait a few hours in between the paper rolling with your fingers to give the picture a chance to really set in and dry before wetting it again and repeating the process.
Where do I find images to transfer? Clip Art!
Clip art is a generic term for copyright free images, such as borders, backgrounds and illustrations that were created for decorative and commercial purposes and are available for use in artwork.
If you are looking for free pictures of flowers or fairies, just go to your Google browser and type "free flower clip art" or "free fairy clip art" and then click on IMAGES from the browser toolbar at the top of the page and you will get a lot of results! However, they may not be exactly what you are looking for.
If you'd like a wider variety of images to choose from without worrying about property rights to the image, then the clip art that is available today through places such as Dover Publications just might be for you!
I use the Dover Publications flower series books for use in my decoupage projects. These books not only show the flowers in their natural colors, but they also include a CD rom for your computer,
The images are stunningly beautiful and realistic and you can print them in true color to use for a transfer to another surface.. Since you are purchasing the CD rom they are yours to use forever!
Watch this video to learn how to use Mod Podge Photo Transfer Medium
Where else can I get images to use for my Mod Podge transfer?
Large bookstores also have sections dedicated to the subject of art techiques and you might find image books there as well. Having pictures available through your computer is not only time-saving, but it enables anyone with a printer and computer to work digitally.
Another easy method I like to use for getting pictures is by simply saving a picture from your computer into a word processing text file using the good old simple copy and paste method. You can read about that method here.