How to make a scarecrow yarn doll for Halloween
How to make a scarecrow out of yarn for Halloween
These little scarecrows are fun to make as Halloween favors for homeroom parties or to give to trick or treaters. They are small enough to pin on a jacket as a fall pin, and large enough to tuck in a fall wreath. I like scarecrows because they are happy, friendly fellows at a time when there are a lot of really scary things around for children to have to see! If you are more into the harvest theme, instead of the scary stuff, here is a perfect little craft project. Little hands could help with wrapping the yarn around the cardboard square to make some Autumn memories.
Yarn: Small amount of worsted weight yarn in yellow or straw-colored
Felt: 5" by 5" black
Muslin: 5" by 5" square, and a small scrap to stuff head
Jute or twine cord
Cardboard square: 5 1/2 " by 4"
Buy yarn on Amazon
Instructions to make a yarn doll Scarecrow
1. Wrap the yarn 30 times around the longer side of the cardboard square for the body of the scarecrow. Remove carefully.
2. Tie off a section for the head, around 1 1/2 inches down from the top, and set aside.
3. Wrap the width of the cardboard 17 times for the arms, remove, and tie in the center.
4. Tie at each end for wrists, cutting open the loops.
5. Insert the arms through the middle of the body section. Secure at the waist tightly.
6. Divide the legs sections, securing each at the ankle. Cut the loops open.
7. Place a small piece of fabric or something inside the head section to plump it up a little bit.
8. With a point in the middle of the chest, place the muslin square over the head, tying around neck to secure with twine. One side of the head may look better for the face. If so, turn the tie around to make that side the front.
9. Cut out a black felt circle that measures 3 1/4"
10. Cut a small wedge out of the circle. and overlap to make a little hat. Glue seam,and glue to scarecrow's head.
12. With markers, follow the face diagram to create a friendly scarecrow face.