ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Arts and Design»
  • Crafts & Handiwork

How To Convert Cross Stitch Patterns To Intarsia Crochet

Updated on December 17, 2015
SheilaSchnauzies profile image

SheilaSchnauzies is a Miniature Schnauzer rescuer, writer, crochet designer, gardener, crafter, wife, mom & friend living in Omaha, NE.

Open Up A Whole New World Of Crocheting With Intarsia Crochet!

Intarsia Crochet is the art of crocheting with two or more colors of yarn or thread, worked together one color at a time, into a pattern. With Intarsia, you can create stunning patterns and designs adding beautiful dimensionality to your crocheted pieces!

You can change virtually any pattern into Intarsia, so long as you keep in mind that by carrying an extra strand of yarn along, you are adding more bulk to the piece and this may affect the size of wearables, making them larger.

Here is a Stargazer Lily hair barrette that I created using three colors of #20 crochet thread. As you can see from the photo, I started to add a fourth color, the black accents, on one petal. I didn't like the look of it so in later photos you'll see that the black was removed. I decided they needed to be smaller accents so I embroidered them after the piece was finished.

You can also convert many cross stitch pattern charts to Intarsia Crochet! You'll use a single crochet for each "X" in the pattern and a "chain 1, skip 1 SC, SC in next SC" for the spaces. For large numbers of colors, you can carry the new color for a few stitches then cut it and weave in the end.

Find a small cross stitch pattern and experiment! I guarantee you'll have a lot of fun, and you just may be hooked on a new crocheting skill!

You'll find directions below on how to work the color changes in Intarsia, along with YouTube tutorials on Intarsia Crochet. Happy crocheting!

My Picket Fence Potholder Done With Two Colors of Intarsia Crochet

My Picket Fence Potholder Done With Two Colors of Intarsia Crochet
My Picket Fence Potholder Done With Two Colors of Intarsia Crochet

The Schnauzer Difficulty Rating!

The Schnauzer Difficulty Rating!
The Schnauzer Difficulty Rating!

A Word About Yarn & Thread Selection...

You may use different yarns such as scrap yarns or threads with good results! Just make sure to keep them similar in weight and thickness so as not to throw off the pattern.

How To Change Colors With Intarsia Crochet

When you come to the last stitch of a particular color, complete the stitch up to the last yarn over. You will want to pull through the last yarn over with the NEW color, as shown in the photo below.

What Do You Think Of This Technique? - Come On, You Can Tell Me!

What Are Your Thoughts On Intarsia Crochet?

See results

A Note From Your Designer...

Hi, I'm SheilaSchnauzies, also published as SheilaSparkles, and my life's passion is designing in Crochet! I also love to share gifts with friends, and this pattern is my gift to you! I give away about 95% of my pattern designs free. The other 5% are sold on my pattern store at to benefit the vet expenses of my Miniature Schnauzer Rescue, Sheila's Schnauzies.

Just one little favor, please... I would appreciate it if you do not post this pattern anywhere on the Internet or in the 'real world.' Instead, you are most welcome to provide a link to this webpage.

I use a system I call the "Official Schnauzer Difficulty Rating" just for fun, to rate the difficulty of my patterns. If it's a 3/5 or more, I'll explain why I consider it more difficult. A few of my designs use techniques that are a bit unconventional! If it's one of those patterns, I'll warn you ahead of time. I do a lot of custom-fit patterns, for example. They are made to fit YOU, not a measurement from a chart. They're surprisingly easy to do and actually end up fitting. That's a good thing, yes?

So glad you found my patterns! I hope you really enjoy making whatever it is you're making! Crochet hugs, -Sheila

Honored To Be An Associate Professional Member of Crochet Guild of America!

"Crochet thread is the ink with which I will sign my life." –SheilaSchnauzies

All content and photos SheilaSchnauzies 2013

Please Crochet Your Name In My Guestbook! - Kidding, Just Signing Is Fine!

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.