- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
How To Make A Hemp Bracelet
I'm going to show you how to make a hemp bracelet. They are fairly tricky to make initially but with practice, they become incredibly easy to craft. Once you've mastered the different knots, it's amazing what you can create. Some of the hemp bracelets I've made have been incredibly intricate, though I prefer to make the simple ones - to my eye, simplicity works better.
You will need a few items to start with - hemp, beads, a small pair of sharp scissors and somewhere to hook your hemp whilst you're making it. I don't attach my hemp to anything, my preference is to simply work freehand and as I often make mine when on the move, it's a little difficult to find a place to hook the hemp.
How To Make A Hemp Bracelet
One thing to note: I’m using cord for this guide. It’s a lot easier to work with when you’re new to hemp bracelets – hemp is quite thick, rough to the touch and the color isn’t helpful for demonstrative purposes. I'm using two different colors (again for demo purposes) though of course I would normally use the same color.
I usually work with hemp and cord - as well as pretty much anything else I can knot - but during this 'how to' I will refer to the cord as hemp. I'm shall also only be using one knot, the Square Knot, though in truth it's classed as two: the Right Square Knot and the Left Square Knot, which I shall refer to as RSK and LSK respectively. And so, let's begin.
NB - sorry if it all seems confusing at first. It is, no matter how I try to explain it. Even if I were sat in front of you, you'd still go cross-eyed. But it really is incredibly easy once you've taken the time to practice. And FYI - I taught myself all the different knots and methods. If I can do it, so can you!
Hemp Bracelet Knots
With this style or type of hemp bracelet, there are two sets of ‘strings’ – there are the outside strings which are known as the partner and lead strings and the inner or guide strings. First, you need to take your hemp and 1measure once around your wrist. Once you’ve done, without losing the end, start doubling the hemp, until it’s roughly 2nine times the circumference of your wrist. Cut the length.
Next, double the length in half and using that as a guide, 3cut a second piece of hemp the same length as the doubled over one. You will now have two lengths of hemp, one roughly twice the length of the other. Fold the shorter one in half. Now take the 4longer length and tie it around the shorter one, near the top. Pull it tight – and you should be left with a small loop. This is the start of your hemp bracelet.
And so, rounded up:
- knots are called LSK and RSK – left square knot & right square knot
- hemps strings are LS and IS – lead strings and inner strings
- wrap hemp round wrist
- double wrist length roughly 9 times
- fold wrist length LS in half
- cut a separate piece that matches the doubled length
- take shorter piece IS, fold in half
- having folded LS in half, now tie it around the top of IS
you're now ready to start
Hemp Bracelet Tutorial
Now the fun part - making your hemp bracelet. Again, in steps, to try and make the process a little easier to understand.
- Holding the top of the hemp, take the right LS over the IS, to the left, creating a loop, hold it between thumb and finger
- Take the left LS over the right LS, under then across to the right of the IS and feed it through the loop
- Pull tight. That's your first knot!
- Now repeat in the opposite direction. Take the left LS across the front of the IS and hold
- Take the right LS over the left LS, then down and behind the IS, across to the left and feed through the loop.
- Pull tight - your second square not.
- Now continue, left to right, right to left, left to right, until you're about three inches or so from the end of your strings
- Once there, check the length, make sure your newly knotted hemp bracelet fits comfortably around your wrist
- Once you're sure it's the right length, simply take all for strings and tie an overhand knot at the end of your square knots - pull tight
- Next simply place a tiny knot on the end of each separate string, leaving roughly two inch of length
- Once you've done that, cut off any excess
- Then wrap your bracelet around your wrist, securing it by feeding two of the ends through the loop and tying them to the remaining two strings
- And that's it - you're done. You've just created your first hemp bracelet.
Now all you need to do is practice. Trust me, it is fiddly to start with but with a little patience, you'll soon be knotting hemp bracelets with your eyes closed!
How To Finish A Hemp Bracelet
How to finish a hemp bracelet? This confuses people almost as much as learning the knots. The easiest way is as I've written above. I've tested various different methods and despite what you'll find on the net, starting with a loop made by halving the IS then firmly tying the halved LS around it is the best way to create your initial fastening.
However there are a couple of variations, detailed below:
- Once you've completed enough knots and tied all four strings in an overhand knot, you can add tiny beads to the ends
- Thread a small bead over each end
- Knot before and behind the bead, as closely as you can
- Cut off the excess
- Add a tiny spot of superglue to seal the knots
- Repeat the above step #1
- Gather your excess IS and LS strings
- Knot them together, over and over, in an overhand knot
- Keeping tying the strings until your knot is bulky enough to slip through your original loop you made when you started your hemp knot - yet stays inside it without slipping back through
- Once you've reached the desired knot size, cut off the excess and add a little superglue
And that's it. You learned how to finish a hemp bracelet. My preferred method is the first one, though I sometimes use the second, more so if the bracelet's for a man's wrist.
How To Make A Spiral Hemp Bracelet
Want to know how to make a spiral hemp bracelet? Easy - once you've mastered the square knots. This is how simple it is to make a square knot spiral hemp bracelet:
- Once your bracelet is ready for you to start knotting, repeat steps #1 through #3 from the first set on instructions
- Now - instead of swapping from left to right, simply make the same know from the right once again
- If you're left handed and it's more comfortable, start your knots from left to right
- Keep knotting your bracelet from right to left, right to left, right to left, until your bracelet is long enough
- Obviously, left to right if you start from the left
- Remember - the key is to keep knotting from the same side, over and over
- Once you're ready, finish your bracelet as shown above.
There you go - now you know how to make a spiral hemp bracelet.
How To Add Beads To A Hemp Bracelet
Finally, how to add beads to a hemp bracelet. This is as easy as learning the spiral pattern. Honest! All you'll need are beads that will fit through the IS comfortably. Then you're ready to make a start.
- Once your bracelet is underway, thread a bead onto the IS
- Restart your next knot around the bead - and continue knotting
- Repeat the process to suit the pattern or beads you want to add
- Remember that adding beads will mean you have less knots to do
- Beads can also be added to spiral hemp bracelets
- And the LS strings can also be used
- Now you just need to experiment ... and practice!
You've now got enough knowledge to make a start on learning how to make a hemp bracelet. You can also make hemp anklets, keyrings and choker style necklaces. You can make different hemp patterns by swapping between the flat square knots and the spiral knots. Experiment! The only limit is your skill.
Before you know it, you'll be able to make them within 15 minutes or so - and if you're like me, no matter where you are or what you're doing, you'll be able to knot away to your hearts content!