- Arts and Design
Make Egg Carton Flower Lights
Brighten Your Life with Egg Carton Flower Lights
For an inexpensive way to brighten a room (literally), make egg carton flower lights. This simple recycled craft is easy to make, cheap, and beautiful!
These strands of flowers can be used in a centerpiece, a floral arrangement, or hung on the wall to add a romantic touch to your room's decor. Use a short or long strand of tiny Christmas lights to suit your purpose.
Making egg carton flower lights is fun, easy, and inexpensive. Now, go eat your eggs and make some lights.
Photo Credit: Peggy Hazelwood
Make Egg Carton Flower Lights - Step by step photos of how to... with instructions on each photo.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Make Egg Carton Flower Lights - Step by step instructions...
This easy craft is so simple. Let kids help paint the egg carton flowers. You can always add the finishing touch when they've had enough fun!
- Supplies you'll need:
- egg cartons
- craft paint, acrylic
- craft paintbrush
- light strand
- Separate the egg carton lid. Remove the lip from the egg carton side where the eggs sit. Separate all of the separate egg segments. They tear fairly easily or use scissors and cut them.
- Cut away parts of the egg carton segments to create petals. I made four or five petals per flower. Do whatever looks good to you.
- Paint the egg carton segments to resemble flowers. Use a solid color or several tones. I used three shades plus white/vanilla paint for depth and a more natural look.
- Paint the inside of each section then let them dry. Then paint the outside of each section. Let dry.
- Poke a small hole from the back to the front for the light to go in. A pencil or an ice pick works fine. Push a light bulb through a hole in the soft egg carton. Stop at the end of the light bulb. (Don't push the light bulb farther. This position keeps it secure on the light strand.)
- Leave a few lights bare if you want or fill the entire strand with egg carton flowers.
Use Acrylic Paint for This Home Decor Project
Get an assortment of craft paint (acrylic) from either the local craft store or from Amazon. This craft is quick and easy. It's perfect for letting kids help with too!
Poke Holes in the Egg Cartons for Extra Glimmer
To add extra glimmer to your egg carton flowers,
poke holes in the "petals" with a straight pin.
The light will shine through the tiny holes
when the light strand is plugged in.
Paint Trays and Paintbrushes
A dedicated craft paint tray and some decent brushes make this project a breeze! These paint trays are inexpensive and investing in a few decent paint brushes to use for detail work makes painting so much more fun!
More Light Strands
Decorate Your Patio with Flower Lights
Use egg carton light strands
outside to decorate a patio.
To lengthen the life of the egg cartons,
hang them under a patio enclosure.
Christmas Light Strands
Clear mini-lights work perfectly for the egg carton flower lights. Whatever size lights you use, make the hole in the egg carton just large enough to fit the bulb. You don't want the hole to big or it'll go all wobbly on you.
Make Longer Flower Lights
For a different look, instead of using
the egg carton sections that hold the eggs,
use the inner row of the egg carton
that separates the two rows of sections.
This part of the egg carton
makes longer flowers.
Decorative Light Strands Ready to Use
These light strands are ready to go, in case you don't want to make your own egg carton flower lights. Or mix in some ready made lights with your handmade ones for a fun, eclectic look!
This author, Peggy Hazelwood, participates in Amazon, eBay, All Posters, and other affiliate advertising programs. When you click an advertising link on this page and make a purchase, I receive a small percent of the sale. Thank you for reading this far!