Modeling Clay for Kids
An enriching activity to enhance creativity: Modeling Clay for Kids!
Modeling clay for kids is a doorway to creativity that is rewarding and stretches the imagination!
Do your kids love an opportunity to get creative? Are you a parent, teacher or daycare worker looking for a fun activity to do with your kids? It is so easy to get started with modeling clay projects by using the resources on this page.
You'll find video tutorials, links to project ideas and tips for using modeling clay. You can even shop right from this page for assorted color clay packs, project kits, molding tools and books!
You supply the materials and the kids will supply the imagination...just watch and see what they come up with!
Modeling Clay Shadow Path
Modeling Clay for Kids Projects - Check out these online modeling clay tutorials!
Modeling Clay Project Video Tutorials
Crayola Magic Mold Fusion
This fun modeling compound from Crayola can be wrapped around any object to make a dimensional clay sculpture! My kids absolutely love this stuff! See an example of how it can be used in the first video above.
Tips for using Modeling Clay
- Modeling clay is stiffer than play dough, so warming it up a bit makes it more pliable and easier to mold. The best way to soften modeling clay is to take a palm-sized portion and cup it between your two hands, holding it there for a minute or two. The body heat from your hands will loosen up the clay and then you can start sculpting it with ease!
- For encouraging creativity in kids, offer many different colors so their imaginations can run wild. You'd be amazed what they come up with when they have inspiration and no adult prompting! Let them run with it!
- Along with many different colors of clay, make sure you offer different molding tools. They don't have to be anything special, but lay out toothpicks, popsicle sticks, cookie cutters and plastic knives.
- If you are using a self-drying clay, remember that it will do exactly what it says it will do...it will dry! So make sure you only remove the amount you currently need and keep the rest in an airtight container. If your stored clay starts to feel dried out, spray it with a fine mist of water and seal the container. Wait 24 hours and your clay should be ready the next day.
- If kids are particularly excited about the way a project turned out, consider allowing them to keep it. Simply coat it with spray lacquer and dry overnight. Then, display it in their room or even a prominent place in your home...children gain self-esteem from seeing that others appreciate their creations!
Modeling Clay Dragons
Modeling Clay Project Book
I got this modeling clay kit for my children for Christmas. I wanted to provide them with creative outlets that would encourage artistic endeavors over electronic addiction. It was one of their favorite gifts and they molded objects for hours! This book comes with 8 blocks of different colors of polymer clay so you can start your projects right away!