- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork»
Needlepoint Belt: You Can Make One!
A Needlepoint Belt Is A Stylish Men's Accessory You Can Make Yourself
A needlepoint belt is a fashionable accessory for men and also for women.
The belt is made of needlepoint stitches on canvas and then finished off with leather and a buckle on the ends.
You can make your own!
You'll see men and women wearing needlepoint belts at cocktail parties, at the office, on the golf course or anywhere they want to set themselves apart from those wearing run-of-the-mill belts. Haven't you noticed when a man wears a striking needlepoint belt? These belts are cool, aren't they?
If you want to make a needlepoint belt, you can! Make a statement about interests, college or hobbies. There are a variety of themes to choose from, or you can use any design you like. Probably the best book of needlepoint belt designs is "The Needlepoint Belt Series."
Needlepoint belts are very high-quality and can be created in various patterns & themes, such as a plaid, fish, beer and even mermaids!
- collegiate sports
- animals & birds
Many women needlepoint belts for their boyfriends or husbands. These unique accessories add character to slacks or shorts and are really a labor of love. A needlepoint belt is quite upscale and can be very expensive if purchased in a store. So if someone makes one for you, consider it to be very special indeed.
"The Needlepoint Belt Series" by Ann Cady Scott has over 900 charted designs for use on needlepoint, especially belts. The charts are simple to follow. Each stitch is clearly diagrammed and explained, along with extra tips to make your stitching look better.
It may seem pricey but you only have to buy it once and you'll have nearly a thousand patterns!
Is a needlepoint belt fashionable? Yes!
Preppy Men's Accessories, including the Needlepoint Belt
How To Make A Needlepoint Belt
Very briefly, these are the instructions for making a needlepoint belt.
1. Determine the belt size by adding 2" to the wearer's pant size. Another method is to measure a belt that fits, from the outer edge of the buckle to the hole most worn, and subtract 4" to determine how much of the canvas you will be stitching the design on. (The remaining canvas will be covered by leather at each end.)
2. Choose a design for your belt. You can use a ready-made design that has been painted on a needlepoint belt canvas. Or you can use a design from a book or design your own on graph paper. In either case, you will need to buy canvas and cut it to the proper length and width.
3. Cover the edges of your needlepoint canvas. You can hem the edges with a sewing machine or wrap the edges with masking tape.
4. Center your needlepoint design on the canvas & begin working your needlepoint stitches with wool yarn or cotton embroidery floss, using a single strand of the ply.
5. After you've completed your stitching, you must turn it under or use a binding stitch on the edge. Neatly secure the ends.
6. Wash and block the belt. Make sure when you block it that you have it pinned accurately to the correct size it is to be. Let the belt dry completely.
7. To complete your needlepoint belt, use a professional finishing service to apply a leather backing, leather ends and a buckle. The standard finishing charge is $100. Or you can finish the belt yourself with cotton belt webbing or suede and a buckle.
How to Hold a Needlepoint Belt Canvas (video)
A Carefully Explained Finishing Stitch (video)
Cotton Embroidery Floss & Needles
105 skeins of 100% cotton embroidery floss.
Links to Needlepoint Web Sites
© 2011 CoeGurl