- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Paint a Valentines Day T-Shirt: Holiday Project 2
♥ Create a Valentine’s Day Design to Paint on a T-Shirt for Celebrating the Heart Holiday ♥
Valentine's Day is another wonderful excuse to reach out long distance style and give our grandchildren a hug by sending a package of goodies. Painting a t-shirt for them to snuggle up in is the next best thing to having them snuggle in my arms.
This second in the series is a different take on my first paint-a-Valentine’s-Day-T-Shirt project. Primarily, the difference is that this t-shirt was already printed and appliqued with a design that I decided to embellish.
If you've seen the first project you already know that this craft could be used for anyone on any holiday. I’m hoping to plan more involved designs for this year’s various holidays--and get them done in plenty of time to mail them!
Of course, doing that requires staying on top of how fast the children are growing, but making those projections is not too hard when working with t-shirts. The hard part is deciding what design to use when there are so many fun possibilities!
♡ A Different Paint Product for this Valentine’s Day Tee Shirt Gift Project ♡
In the first T-shirt project hub I used FabricMate Dye Markers for creating the twirling design. The pens are a great paint product, and I used them to randomly highlight some of these preprinted hearts with new colors (see photo detail to the right).
However, this shirt also had an appliqued pink heart in the center front that was calling out to me for a painted embellishment. After washing and drying it, though, the applique was a little loose and wrinkly for the dye pens to work well.
Realizing that the shiny fabric paint that comes in a squeeze bottle would be the right solution, I chose a very light pinkish beige to roughly fill in the hot pink heart and used a paint brush to put rough but fairly even strokes in the paint. I then piped an extra outline along the edges of the filled in area.
After that dried according to package directions I was pleased to find that the texture I was going for was indeed something that this tiny girl would enjoy patting with her tiny fingers. Adding the Q T Pi on an angle was easy, but I wish I had practiced more before painting it on the t-shirt.
Cutting out a heart that same size and fiddling around with the letters and pi symbol would have given me a finer design, but the way it turned out means that she will have even more texture to fiddle with. The color for the cutie-pie lettering was pulled from the preprinted aqua hearts on the shirt.
Paint a t-shirt for a special little one and let them know how much you love them on Valentine's Day--or any holiday!
❣ Tips for Planning and Painting a Holiday Gift T-Shirt ❣
• Be sure to wash and dry the t-shirt using no fabric softener before starting your project.
• Consider the age and personality of the person you are making the t-shirt for so you can make the best decisions on color and style of the design.
• Experiment on an old t-shirt before you begin your project.
• Take a look at designs from printed fabrics, posters and framed art, craft books, and the web to help get your creative juices flowing. Don’t use another artist’s work, it’s unethical and illegal.
• Slide a sheet of card stock paper inside the shirt before beginning to draw and/or paint your design so that colors/paints/dyes do not bleed through to the opposite side.
• Let paints and/or dyes dry before adding colors or you may get unexpected blends of color.
• Designs can be drawn onto a shirt or created free hand. When placing the "Cutie-pie" begin by centering the T in the area, then adding the Q and Pi symbol on each side.
• Trust your creative instincts and have fun!
• Take pictures so you can make your own "How To" hub and be sure to let me know so I can link it to one of mine in this little Valentine’s Day series on painted t-shirts. :)
More About Painting T-Shirts :)
❤ More Projects That Can Be Used For Holiday Gifts:
- Make An All-In-One Gift and Tote Bag
Replace disposable gift bags with reusable fabric totes. Nice tote bags have multiple uses and they are simple to make. Learn how to make your own gift and tote bag with these step-by-step instructions.
- Denim Skirt Handbag: The First One
Making handbags is a unique and enjoyable craft. Design an easy, customizable project for anyone with basic sewing skills and enjoy your own bag!
Super Simple Painted T-Shirt:
Very Cool Way To Make A Stencil For Painted T-Shirt Projects
Painting A Watercolor On A T-Shirt!
❤ More Holiday Hubs:
- Scrabble: A Gift That Can Spell Character
Conversation during a game like Scrabble can give insights into another person's character. Game time can be an opportunity to seriously consider what your expectations should be in the relationship.
- Memorial Day: Remembering and Helping
Memorial Day is our chance to pay tribute to those who gave their all so we could live like no other people in history. robertatalloni
- Flag Day and The Star Spangled Banner: June 14 is Flag Day
The Star Spangled Banner's text reminds us of how the phrase “In God We Trust” came to be our nation’s motto...Robertatalloni
- Happy 4th of July: Celebrating Our Country
While no country has a perfect history, or has become perfect, national pride is a responsibility for citizens of a country. The 4th of July can help Americans remember that peace doesn't have the chance of a lamb against a lion if we give up our his
By postponing our Thanksgiving, we felt oddly apart from the rest of our country that Thursday. Thanksgiving Day, however, proved to make a point!
- Home for the Holidays, Number 5 in a Series of Short Stories: The Favor
Home for the Holidays' "The Favor" is number 5 in a series of short stories. What do you think the reporter will do with the gift he is given?
- Christmas Music of John Rutter
Words like “talented” must be preceded with “breathtakingly” in order to do justice to John Rutter's Christmas music.
- Keeping A Holiday Job: Merry Christmas or Not?
Sharing the traditional phrase "Merry Christmas" on the job can be an interesting experience. Such a simple greeting said with kind sincerity can provoke a whirlwind. What do you think about this true situation?