how to build a presidential podium
What you'll need:
- 2 sheets brown construction paper
- Empty snack cracker box
- ½ sheet each of white and black construction paper
- Red, blue, silver and gold crayons
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Tape the two short and one of the long flaps of the box top down inside of the box.
- Use scissors to trim the remaining box top into the podium platform. To do this, cut two triangles from the box top, one on the left, the other on the right.
- Take the triangles that you cut from the box top and tape them behind the “podium platform” to reinforce it and give it some strength.
- Cover box and podium platformwith brown construction paper. Glue in place.
- Cut the white and black “fabric” pieces from the construction paper using a pattern. Glue black “fabric” on first, glue white “fabric” overlapping brown on podium and black “fabric”.
- Use a pattern to trace a circle onto a piece of white construction paper. Color border of circle with gold crayon. Draw a thin red circle inside the larger circle. Use blue crayon to draw a smaller and thicker circle toward the center. Inside the blue circle, use silver crayon to draw and color the Capitol Building.
- Glue “emblem” circle overlapping the black “fabric”.
- Discuss the inauguration and new President’s speech and how the podium is used.
- Keep a stock of construction paper for impromptu craft projects.
- Watch clearance sales for clear tape, especially after the Christmas holidays!