Quilting Techniques - Quilt Ideas on Clothes Embellishment
Quilted Designs for Clothing
Quilting is a decorative technique in dressmaking. You can quilt fabric by holding two or more layers together. There are basically two types of quilting: hand quilting and machine quilting. To make a decorative and attractive quilting designs, it is better to use plain fabrics, though colored fabrics can also be used.
You can use all the other types of hand stitches and sewing machine quilting technique with free motion and walking foot. Before you start quilting, it is a good idea to get all the tools and materials you will need to quilt, such as basic sewing kit, safety pins, quilting pins, quilting loops and frames, ruler, wadding, masking tape and temporary markers.
How To Prepare For Quilting - Tacking Method
You will have to secure together the layers of top fabric, wadding and backing fabric before you start to stitch. This prevents the layers of fabric from sliding or slipping out of position. What you do is to lay the wrong side of the backing fabric up on the flat surface such as a table and use masking tape to secure it at the corners.
Lay the top fabric and wadding layers over the top, make sure that the top fabrics lays right side up at the end and secure with masking tape. Starting from the center outwards, pin the layers together and then remove the masking tape and tack the fabric pieces about 8 to 10cm both horizontal and vertical apart.
If you are a beginner to quilting, it is better to get training from someone that knows how to quilt. You can then buy quilting patterns from any haberdashery or craft shop near you.
Types Of Quilting Techniques
Quilting By Hand
This is how to quilt by hand by using small, evenly spaced running stitches to make your quilting design
- Thread the needle with about 45cm of thread and secure the thread with a knot
- From the quilt line of the top fabric, insert the needle a little distance away and push the knot through it.
- Make small running stitches in order to finish the thread
- Secure and cut off the thread ends.
Quilting By Machine
Machine quilting With Free-Motion
- You will have to attach the machine quilting foot by lowering the feed dogs
- Roll the quilt into frame or you can make the quilt without the frame by just holding the fabric and machine quilting.
- Under the sewing machine needle, lay the quilting fabric and make stitches steadily. If you want the stitches to look larger, you should make a faster sewing movement.
Machine Quilting With a Walking Foot
- If there is any quilting instructions provided, follow it.
- First attach the walking foot to the sewing machine
- Machine quilt
- The walking foot helps the layers of the fabric to be steady as you machine quilt without the layers sliding away from the position.
- Use spare fabric to practice how to quilt before you start quilting
- As you quilt, adjust any machine tension when necessary
- You can quilt jackets and coats to have a decorative finish and to add warm
- You can also embellish bags by using metallic threads to quilt them
- You can quilt blankets and many other fabric items of your choice
Quilting For Beginners Online Instructions
- Free Quilting Instructions
Free Quilting instructions for the newbie keeps things fun and exciting. Your first few projects will be successe!
- Beginner Quilting - How to Quilt - Patterns - Instructions
At beginner quilting resources you can learn how to quilt and we have free quilting tips, patterns, guides and instructions to get you started making a beautiful quilt.