About Joaquin Sorolla - Spanish Painter
Introducing Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida (1863-1923)
Sorolla was a very popular and prolific Spanish painter - he was renowned as a painter of the colour of light. Find out more about his Spanish version of Realism/Impressionism.
Below you will find links to:
- biographical details
- where his paintings can be seen in art galleries and museums - and also online
- major exhibitions of his paintings
- books about the painter and his paintings
- his paintings of gardens
One of my reasons for making this website is I love Sorolla's paintings and always found it difficult to track a book about him down.
Fortunately he appears to be the subject of a resurgence of interest and there have been a number of recent publications - highlighted below. I just wish I had the chance to see more of his paintings in person.
The Life of Joaquin Sorolla (1863 - 1923)
The life of Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida
Sorolla is a very well known and popular Spanish painter - best known for his high key colour, his painting of the colour of light and excellent draughtsmanship with respect to his painting of people.
He was mostly active in Spain but also developed a strong following in his lifetime in the USA.
He painted a lot of paintings across a variety of figurative genres - portraiture, landscapes, historical scenes. He also produced a lot of book illustrations.
He was a plein air painter and has been described as a conservative Impressionist and also as the "painter of vibrating sunshine without equal".
He was well known for his paintings of activities at the beach - from fishermen with their boats, to women taking a stroll and children swimming and playing in the water.
Many of these paintings were based on scenes around the seacoast town of Jvea which is located south of Valencia where he lived.
He was much honoured during his lifetime and won a number of major awards for his painting. Awards in his early years focused on subjects of social conscience - such as the child victims of a major outbreak of polio
Born: Valencia, 27 February 1863 (his parents both died in a cholera epidemic when he was 2 years old. He was raised by an aunt and uncle.)
Died: Cercedilla, near Madrid, 10 August 1923
Married: Clotilde Garca del Castillo in 1880
Lived: Valencia and Madrid
Children and grandchildren: Maria, b.1890, Joaqun, b.1892, and Elena, b.1895
- enrolled age 15 years old in the Academy of San Carlos in Valencia, Spain.
- awarded a scholarship in 1884 and studied art in Rome and Paris
Influenced by: Adolph Menzel (1815-1905); Jules Bastien-Lepage (1848-1884) and Impressionism
Famous for: painterly style using high key colours
Awards / Honours:
- won first prize at the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago with his painting Otra Margarita! (Another Marguerite!) (1892). This is a painting of a woman convicted of infanticide, on her way by train to the place where her sentence will be carried out.
- Sorolla was invited to paint a portrait of President Taft
More about Sorolla
Links to more information about the life of Joaquin Sorolla
- Catalogue of paintings by Joaquiin Sorolla y Bastida brought to America and exhibited by the Hispani
- Joaqun Sorolla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joaqun Sorolla From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida Biography
Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida - Biography.
- SorollaPaintings - Life
Joaquin Sorolla Life
- Joaquin Sorolla, Painter
Joaqui;n Sorolla, Painterby Peter Saint-AndreMy favorite painter is Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida. When I discovered his work at the IBM Gallery of Art and Science in New York City (1989, I think it was), I fell immediately in love with his paintings, wi
Sorolla - the Paintings
BOOK: Sorolla - The Masterworks
Rated an average of 4.7 out of 5 stars by 29 customer reviews
This is one of the new books about the paintings of Spanish Impressionist painter Joaquin Sorolla. This survey of around 100 his best paintings was compiled by his great-granddaughter Blanca Pons-Sorolla who is regarded as the best authority on his work (fulfilling the same role for her relative as Richard Ormonde does for John Singer Sargent). The paintings are also accompanied by an essay covering his life, artwork and legacy.
Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: Skira Rizzoli;
(October 2, 2012)
VIDEO: The Studio of Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida
This video gives you a tour of his studio and the house where he lived - which is now a museum about him. You can see a lot of his paintings hung on the walls - and see aspects of the garden which he also painted
Artist in Museums and Art Galleries
A large collection of Sorolla's paintings were left to the people of Spain by Sorolla's widow when she died. The couple's own collection is now housed in the Museo Sorolla, which is a museum in the former home of the artist in Madrid.The remainder can be found in museums around the world
- Museo Sorolla
Selected works of Joaqun Sorolla Bastida
- Fundacin Bancaja: Cultura: Coleccin BancajaLa obra de Sorolla
Bancaja's collection features fifteen works, where you can admire the loose and light stroke of his works.
- The Hispanic Society of America
The collections of the Hispanic Society are unparalleled in their scope and quality outside the Iberian Peninsula. It has a collection of Sorolla paintings and a Sorolla Room
- Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida Online
Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida [Spanish Realist/Impressionist Painter, 1863-1923] Guide to pictures of works by Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida in art museum sites and image archives worldwide.
- Sorolla y Bastida, Joaquin | Art Institute Chicago
Sketch for Beach Scene, 1906Rocks at the Lighthouse, Biarritz, 1906Two Sisters, Valencia, 1909"Two Sisters, Valencia" by Joaqun Sorolla [Public domain], via Wikimedia CommonsNote - the colour on the AIC website is MUCH BETTER than this image supplied
- Joaqun Sorolla y Bastida | The J. Paul Getty Museum
A biography of the artist Joaqun Sorolla y Bastida from the J. Paul Getty Museum's collection.Wounded Foot 1909Hall of Ambassadors , 1909Pepilla the Gypsy , 1910Court of Dances, 1910Corner of Garden, 1910
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Sorolla paintings
Paintings by Sorolla
- Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida: The Bath, Javea (09.71.2) | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metro
Joaqun Sorolla y Bastida (Spanish, 1863-1923)Oil on canvas35 1/2 x 50 1/2 in. (90.2 x 128.3 cm)Signed and dated (lower right): J Sorolla Bastida / 1905.
Sorolla in Online Galleries
Below are websites where you can see paintings by Joaquin Sorolla online for free
- Category:Joaqun Sorolla - Wikimedia Commons
paintings in Wikimedia Commons
- Joaqun Sorolla - WikiPaintings.org (chronological)
all artworks chronologically
- Joaqun Sorolla - WikiPaintings.org (alphabetical)
all artworks alphabetically
- Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida - The complete works
Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida - Homepage. The complete works, large resolution images, ecard, rating, slideshow and more! One of the largest Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida resource on the web!
- Art Renewal | Artist Information for Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida
- Sorolla Paintings Home
Web site dedicated to Joaquin Sorolla with examples of paintings, quotes and links to further information and resources.
- BBC - Your Paintings - Joaqun Sorolla y Bastida
Explore the paintings of Joaqun Sorolla y Bastida in the National Collection and find out where you can see them...
- JOAQU�N SOROLLA
This blog, in Spanish, is a collection of paintings by Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida
VIDEO - Joaquin Sorolla - Cityscape and Pictures - Music Manuel de Falla
Sorolla Exhibitions in 2013 - 2014
NEW EXHIBITION: Sorolla and America* Meadows Museum from December 13, 2013 - April 19, 2014* The San Diego Museum of Art* Fundacin MAPFRE, Madrid.
- Meadows Museum at Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
The Meadows Museum is organizing a comprehensive new exhibition, Sorolla and America, which will explore for the first time Joaqun Sorolla's unique relationship with the United States in the early twentieth century.
- Meadows Museum exhibition is first to explore the impact in America of Spanish painter Juaquin Sorol
The exhibition will feature nearly 160 works by Sorolla, including several of his most iconic paintings, as well as works that were purchased during the artist's lifetime and have never been exhibited publicly.
- Future Exhibitions | San Diego Museum of Art
The exhibition is not listed yet. Check again in Spring 2014
- Institute of Culture and History - FUNDACION MAPFRE
List of exhibitions (this is exhibition is not listed as yet).
BOOK: Sorolla and America
NEW for 2013: This is the catalogue/book associated with the NEW major exhibition taking place in 2013 / 14 - Sorolla and America.
The book considers the development and the nature of the relationship between Joaquin Sorolla and early twentieth century America. It considers:
- his landmark and very popular exhibitions in New York (1909) and Chicago (1911)
- the people who collected his work
- the people who commissioned him to do paintings
- the relationships he developed with American artists - such as John Singer Sargent and William Merritt Chase.
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Ediciones El Viso America
(November 16, 2013)
Prado Exhibition - Joaquin Sorolla
"Joaquin Sorolla (1863-1923)" was the first major, monographic exhibition to be devoted to the artist in Spain since 1963. It was held at the Prado in Madrid.
The exhibition was unique because it was one of the most important ever organised anywhere in the world in terms of the number and quality of the works in the exhibition
The exhibition is organised chronologically and the website retains the information about each section - listed below.
- Museo Nacional del Prado: Joaqun Sorolla (1863-1923)
Exposiciones. Museo Nacional del Prado26 may - Extended until 13 september 2009 (sold out!)
- Museo Nacional del Prado: Comments on the exhibition by Jose Luis Dez and Javier Barn (video)
Museo Nacional del Prado VIDEO Commentary on the exhibition - IN SPANISH - but really great images of the paintings which give you a sense of the size and impact.
- Museo Nacional del Prado: Introduction
Introduction to the exhibition
- Museo Nacional del Prado: Sections
SectionsI.1884 - 1892: the academic perfectionII. Around 1895: the first international successesIII. 1900: the Grand Prix at the World FairIV. Velzquez's influenceV. The complete artistic freedomVI. The field of portraitureVII. Around 1909: the Malva
- Museo Nacional del Prado: I.1884 - 1892: the academic perfection
Sorolla's studies and visit to Italy while a student
- Museo Nacional del Prado: II. Around 1895: the first international successes
the beginning of international success
- Museo Nacional del Prado: III. 1900: the Grand Prix at the World Fair
Sorolla earned the Grand Prix at the 1900 World Fair with Sad Inheritance"Sad Inheritance" by Joaqun Sorolla [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
BOOK: Joaquin Sorolla - the book of the exhibition
A comprehensive review of the best paintings by Joaquin Sorolla in both European and American collections. The book has been extremely well received.
Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars (7 customer reviews)
The authors of the book are both senior people at the Museo Nacional del Prado in Madrid, Spain. Jose Luis Diez is a senior curator of nineteenth-century painting and Javier Baron Thaidigsmann is head of the Department of Nineteenth-Century Painting.
This catalogue was written to celebrate the work of Joaquin Sorolla and to accompany the 2009 exhibition at the Prado which placed Sorolla alongside the great Spanish painters: El Greco, Velazquez, and Goya. The exhibition included 138 artworks and created a 'first' - it was the largest exhibition that the Prado had ever organised for a nineteenth century painter.
Hardcover: 534 pagesPublisher: Thames & Hudson (August 1, 2009)
Other Exhibitions about Joaquin Sorolla
EXHIBITIONS IN AMERICA:
- February 8 to March 8, 1909 - a month-long exhibition of paintings by Sorolla at the Hispanic Society of America, New York attracted more than 150,000 visitors
- 1911 - Art Institute of Chicago and the St. Louis Art Museum: another major exhibition with more than 150 of his paintings on display
- Catalogue of paintings by Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida brought to America and exhibited by the Hispani
The metadata below describe the original scanning. Follow the All Files: HTTP link in the View the book box to the left to find XML files that contain more...
- La Viajera Tranquila: Granada visto por Sorolla
(Translate) "Granada in Sorolla" organized by the Museo Sorolla in Madrid4 October 2011 - 22 February 2012
- Museum of Fine Arts in Bilbao Opens Sorolla Exhibition from The Hispanic Society of America
The Collection Visions of Spain by Joaquin Sorolla which gathers 14 great canvases which the Hispanic Society of America commissioned to the artist at the beginning of the 20th Century opens today in Bilbao where it can be viewed until January 18, 20
Sorolla and Gardens
BOOK: Sorolla: Gardens of Light - by Blanca Pons Sorolla (the great granddaughter of Joaquin Sorolla)
Rated 5.0 out of 5 stars by 5 customer reviews
This is a catalogue of an exhibition. It focuses on:
- all the paintings of gardens created by Sorolla during his lifetime
- an extended chronology of the garden paintings of La Granja, the Alcazar in Seville, the Alhambra
- life in Granada and at his house in Madrid.
His sketch-like paintings were made from observation while painting plein air using loosh brushstrokes. As always with Sorolla they demonstrate his interest in light and shade and reflections in the water.
Hardcover: 256 pagesPublisher: Ediciones El Viso (October 16, 2012)
Gardens painted by Sorolla - You too can paint in the gardens painted by Sorolla
Below you can find links to some of the gardens painted by Sorolla which are accessible to the public.
You too can try and capture the light and colours and the scenes painted by Sorolla.
- Royal Palace of La Granja de San Ildefonso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Royal Palace of La Granja de San Ildefonso (Spanish: Palacio Real de La Granja de San Ildefonso) is an 18th-century palace which used to be the summer residence of the Kings of Spain since the reign of Philip V.
- Alczar of Seville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Alczar of Seville is a royal palace in Seville, Spain, originally a Moorish fort. It is the oldest royal palace still in use in Europe, and it was registered in 1987 by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site
You too can paint where Sorolla painted!
This is my pastel painting which I created while sat in the white building (in the shade!) that can be seen in the photo of the Alacazar Gardens in Seville below
Sorolla and Grenada
Sorolla paints Grenada
Sorolla visited Granada four times in 1902, 1909, 1910 and 1917. The recent exhibition about Sorolla in Grenada brought together 24 paintings which he made while visiting the city. These include views of the Sierra Nevada and views of the city or the courtyards and towers of the Alhambra
- La Viajera Tranquila: Granada visto por Sorolla
About the exhibition about Sorolla in Grenada
Sorolla and the Sea
VIDEO: Joaquin Sorolla - Sea and Beach Scenes - Music Granados
Sorolla excelled at painting local fishing boats and people at work and leisure on the beach
Sorolla and the Sea - commentary on beach scenes
Sorolla's beach scenes typically feature either fisherman or children playing. Sometimes we see ladies in their summer clothes strolling by the sea
- From the Collection | Drawing in the Sand by Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida | Milwaukee Art Museum Blog
A young boy kneels at the beach, drawing a sailboat into the wet sand with a stick. The sun beats on his bare skin and makes him almost glow with warmth and light. Behind him, water licks at his feet, cool and tempting. Although he is intent on his p
Sorolla at Auction
- VIDEO - Sotheby's auction
Sotheby's Head of Department Adrian Biddell as he discusses two outstanding paintings by Joaqun Sorolla in the sale: * Pescador, Valencia (Young Fisherman, Valencia), and * Nios en la playa (Children Playing on the Beach).