time capsule can
Make this a tradition with your family each New Year! Place one item from each family member inside a decorated can marked with the year on the front. Wait until all the kids are grown to open all the time capsules for a wonderful family memory!
What you'll need:
- Empty can with plastic lid (mixed nuts, peanuts, potato chips, etc)
- Yellow construction paper
- Red glitter glue
- Gold chenille stem
- Red acrylic paint
- White craft glue
- Piece of paper
- Pen or marker
How to make it:
- Be sure that can is clean and dry. Wrap can with yellow construction paper, glue or tape in place.
- Glue a piece of gold chenille around the bottom of the can. You will need to hold the chenille in place until the glue adheres.
- Dip one finger from each family member in red paint and dab off excess on paper towel. Place a red fingerprint on the side of the can.
- Use red glitter glue to write the year on the front of the can. Let it dry completely.
- When dry, have each family member place a small item inside the can. Use a pen to write an “inventory” list on a piece of paper stating what each member added to the time capsule.
- Place the list inside with the other items and seal the can with its lid. Don’t open until all children are grown (or at least not until next year)!
- For very small children, make sure they don’t place something inside the can that they will miss too much.
- Talk about how fun it will be to open the can next year and look inside.
- Use a different container each year to have a fun variety to open.