Types of Sewing Tools And Equipment In Dressmaking - Sewing Kit List
Basic Sewing Equipment
Sewing is fun. Anyone can sew for personal use, as a hobby or for commercial purpose. Deciding to become a dressmaker will require you to have a basic knowledge about the different sewing kit, how to use and store them, so that you can easily find them when you want to use them.
These are some of the sewing equipment to be discussed: dressmaker's cutting tools, measuring equipment, pins and needles, threads and notions, tracing tools, furniture plus others.
Dressmaker's Cutting Tools
Cutting tools in dressmaking are used for cutting fabrics such as:
- Dressmaking shears lower blade are used to cut fabric as it makes it easy for the fabric to lie flat as it being cut.
- For snipping ends of threads, small sewing scissors are used
- Pinking shears are used to cut fray resistant and zig-zag edge. Pinking shears can also be used to finish seams and fabric raw edges. As the pinking shears cannot be sharpened, it should never be used to cut out paper patterns that can blunt the blades.
- Seam ripper is used to pick out threads, cut seams open, and as it is very sharp, it can be used to slash machine buttonholes. Always keep the seam ripper inside its protective case when you are not using it.
Measuring Tools for Dressmaking
- Sewing gauge are used to measure pleats and hems
- Metric stick is good when measuring long straight curtains as it is easy to check the direction of the marking hems and fabric grains.
- Buy a flexible tape measure that is 5ft (1.5m) long, this is the most useful and common length that many dressmakers use.
Dressmakers Pins and Needles
- Stainless steel pins are used when you want to tack or sew a seam, as it is used to hold fabric together.
- Crewel needles are better for embroidery as you can pass strands threads through the long eye of the needle.
- Sharp needles with rounded eyes are used for most of the fabric weights
- Pins with colored heads are very useful when used as markers as the colored heads can be seen easily on fabrics.
- Bodkin is used to thread piping or elastic
- Needle threader makes it easy to thread needles, especially if you have shay hands or can't see the needle eye clearly.
Tracing Tools Used By Dressmakers
- Tailor's chalk are used to transfer pattern markings onto a fabric
- to transfer pattern markings to the wrong side of the fabric, tracing wheel are used together with dressmaker's carbon paper.
- to mark thin accurate lines, such as lines for pocket positioning, pleats or buttonholes, chalk pencil is used.
Dressmaker's Sewing Threads and Notions
- Elastic thread should be in a dressmaker's work basket
- Have different types and colors of threads such as strong thread, polyester thread, tacking cotton thread, embroidery thread plus others.
- Fasteners such as hooks and eyes, buttons, press studs, safety pins etc.
- To hem and bind edges of fabric, use bias binding
- Work table can be any table that you can use near the sewing area. It is better to have a stable, permanent table for sewing work.
- Get a work lamp that you can move and turn to any angle to shine on any area of your sewing.
- Let the mirror you have be full length, so that you can be able to see how the hems and clothes fit.
List For Sewing Equipment
- Dressmaking Equipment List
List of dressmaker's sewing equipment / Tools