- Arts and Design
Watermelon Fused Beads Design for Summer
How to Make Cool Summer Themed Watermelon Slices from Fused Perler Beads
Get a cool slice of summer already by making some fun fused bead watermelon designs and patterns. There is nothing more refreshing on a hot day than biting into this soft and juicy red fruit flesh. And it makes wonderfully cooling drinks too. The colors are cute and make for pretty designs in your crafting.
Once your fruity pieces are made, you can turn them into novelty jewelry like earrings and necklaces that are perfect to wear on bright sunny days and you can design your own fun decorations like coasters which are made from full, round slices. Great to use around a pool if you're lucky enough to have one.
All Personal Images belong to the author of this article
Supplies That You Need for this Project
You've probably already got a supply of beads but check that you have a good selection of red, white, black and different shades of greens for this watermelon design - you can get most standard colors in a multi mix jar. I used solid colors except for the red fruit flesh which is actually translucent but it will work with a solid shade too. You need a small circle pegboard or a large circle pegboard to make this design. The small one is handy because the pattern fits inside the whole board. And your special ironing paper to iron over the finished design and fuse the beads together.
Pattern Tutorial for Perler Watermelon Slices
This delicious fruit always makes me think of summer because it is so juicy, sweet and refreshing on a hot day. See how to make your own design 3 ways with whole slices which are great for cute coasters, half slices for drink décor and small pieces which are ideal to turn into necklaces. And there are lots more uses for these which I'm sure you can think of.
If you want to turn your half slice into a drink decoration that sits on top of a drinking glass, also refer to my Perler Fruit Slices page which is shown from the link right above so you can see how to do this.
- Selection of Perler / Hama Beads in red, black, white and greens
- Small Circle Pegboard (or large will do)
1. First I'll show you how to make half a slice because a whole slice is can easily be made from this. Start with a selection of different color green beads. I think I used 4 different colors but just use whatever shades you have. You need to work exactly halfway round the outer edge of your circle pegboard (or 8 rows out from the middle if using a large circle board) and randomly place different colors of green beads.
2. The next step is very easy. Just work inside the row of green beads you made with a row of white beads - this row of white really makes the red flesh of the fruit pop out. I have tried it without this white section and it doesn't look nearly as good.
3. Working within this half section of the pegboard, randomly dot around 4-6 black beads for the pips. It is easier to add them in first and then fill in the rest with red perlers.
4. I like to use a translucent red (which is a glitter red) for the flesh because it just makes it look much juicier than using another solid color bead. But a plain red works fine. Just fill in the rest of the half pegboard making that straight edge at the top. Now you have half a slice done.
5. A whole slice is just a continuation of the half slice pattern. So work a green edge all around the outside of the pegboard, then a white row, then add in 8-12 black beads randomly in the middle for the pips and fill in with red.
6. I love the little tiny piece of fruit at the top which you can see the pattern for here. You can turn this one into earrings or a necklace for summer themed fun jewelry. I hope you've enjoyed reading my lens or article today, thanks for your visit. Have fun making your own designs.
Make Lots of Cute Items
These special fused beads are fun to craft with and you can make loads of things from magnets to keychains to jewelry and decorations for parties and around the home. Have fun making things with them.
Clear Pegboards are Perfect for Kids - Use Over the top of a Pattern Pad
As an adult crafter, I prefer the solid boards. I make my own patterns all the time and find the solid color pegboards easier to work with. My young daughter prefers her clear pegboards which she lays over the top of a pattern to complete a design - these pattern pads help her confidence with constructing designs.
It's the Only Melon I can Eat!
I'm Actually Allergic to All Other Types of Melon. The reason I love this fruit so much is because it is the only melon I can eat without suffering a severe allergic reaction. I have to be very careful when eating fruit salads prepared outside of the home since they could trigger off a very bad attack for me.
So I really have a reason to love this delicious and refreshing fruit and I enjoy crafts based on it too. You can make these fused bead patterns in 3 different ways which I show you below. You can then used your finished items to make fun and novelty coasters, costume jewelry, decorations, hanging ornaments, gift tags, magnets, keychains and more.
If you've never tried this craft, it's a pretty simple one to have fun with. You need a selection of fused beads (Perler or Hama are the big brands) and some pegboards which hold the beads in position as you work a pattern. When your design is done, you iron over the top with a layer of special ironing paper between the pattern and the iron. You might need to test ironing with a few practice pieces until you get the hang of it. After that it's very easy.