- Arts and Design
How to Make Yarn Toys
My friend said I am a hoarder of stuffs because I am fond of buying just anything even if I do not know where to use them. I am the type of person who would buy stuffs that I think are great for crafting. I have various gift wraps, stickers, die cuts, scrapbooking paper and a whole lot more. These are already in my craft box. I can grab them whenever I need them or when I think of something to work on. I really think that there is a great advantage of buying stuffs in advance because my ideas won't go stale. I could immediately create what I want to create!
There was one time when I was in the downtown area of the city in my place, I needed to buy some baby wipes for my daughter. So I went into a store but aside from the wipes, I found yarns with bright colors and I couldn't resist to buy them! I grabbed three different colors even if I do not know what to use them for. Those yarns just stayed on my craft box. Yah, my craft box is big because like what my friend said, I'm a hoarder. lol.
After around 5 months, I found a craft book in a book sale and I also bought it. When I checked it, there were some yarn crafts that I wanted to try. My daughter saw an octopus yarn toy and said, "Mommy, I want to make an octopus," So, guess what? The yarns I bought months ago were used to make yarn toys.
Yarns with different colors in one strand is indeed lovely and you can get that from Lion Brand Yarn.
These are the yarn toys I made, a yarn doll, a yarn octopus and a monster yarn bug. I shared a How-to below. It is easy to make them using the yarn. You can find yarn colors in any shade and tone that you want. It was also easy to work using them. I was worried that the yarn might break because my daughter kept on stretching them but that did not happen. Just be sure to get a good type of yarn.
But of course, a yarn can also be perfect for knitting, crocheting and other yarn crafts. I did not regret getting some yarns because aside from the yarn toys I was able to made from them, it brought so much joy to my little one.
Create Your Yarn Toys
Check out the how to make these yarn toys by viewing the images below. You'll also see how my daughter enjoyed these toys!
How to Make an Yarn Doll
- Get a piece of board and wind the yarn around it. The length of the board can tell the size of your doll. After that, take it from the board and cut the bottom part leaving the upper part folded as shown.
- Tie the upper portion with a yarn of a different color that will serve as her hair.
- Below the folded part of the yarn, tie one strand of yarn to create the head.
- Separate some parts of the yarn for the arms. Tie the excess portion for the feet.
- Using paper or felt, make some eyes and lips.
- Start braiding the legs and arms and tie the ends. Then cut the folded area of the hair. We also glued shorter yarns on the upper part.
- Then glue the eyes and lips into the head so you can give it some facial features. And you are done!
These one have crayon colors. But you can still find more colors aside from this.
How to Make a Yarn Octopus
1. Wind the yarn on a piece of board to any desired size you want. After that, take it from the board and cut the lower portion.
2. Get a strand of yarn and tie just below the folded area of the yarn to make the head of the octopus.
3. Separate eight portions of the yarn below the area you have tied. Then braid them to make the legs. You can tie another yarn on the upper area of the first tie you did to give the octopus a hair.
4. Glue some eyes and lips that you cut from paper and your octopus is done!
Want some crochet patterns? Try this book where you can use the Lion Brand Yarn in your creations.
How to Make a Funny Yarn Monster
1. Wind the yarn on a piece of board just like what you did to the other two. Take it from the board but this time tie it at the center. You will be able to create a pompom.
2. From cardstock or any type of paper, cut eyes, mouth and feet.
3. Insert a yarn at the back of the pompom make it long because these will serve as legs. Get the paper feet you made. Put a hole on it and insert the yarn and tie a knot to keep the feet in place.
4. Glue the eyes and mouth to finish your funny yarn monster!