10 Things I Hate That Driver's Do
I understand that I am not the greatest driver and sometimes I make mistakes when I am driving as well, however there are some drivers that drive me completely nuts.
- NO TURN SIGNAL – It drives me totally bonkers when a person turns or moves over to another lane without turning on their turn signal. I mean really people how am I supposed to guess where you are going? Turn signals are meant to help other drivers understand what you are going to do next. Help us all out by using your turn signal each and every time you are going to turn or switch lanes. Come on people use your turn signal!
- WRONG TURN SIGNAL – Ok so this one I could never understand. I mean I have difficulty remembering my left from my right and I am horrible about directions however the turn signal is really simple and easy to use. If you are changing lanes understand which lane you are going to go to and then use your turn signal accordingly. If your left turn signal is on most drivers are going to assume that you are either going to turn or move to the left not to the right. Help us out people use the right turn signal!
- NOT TURNING TURN SIGNAL OFF -The other day I was driving in the left hand lane next to a person who was in the right hand lane with their turn signal on. I stayed back a bit thinking that they wanted to move over. After about 5 minutes of this. I figured out that they were not moving over so I sped up to get away from them. In my rear view mirror I could see that others were doing and thinking the same thing as me. It wasn’t until I pulled off of the exit that this person finally figured out that their left hand turn signal had been on the whole time and they shut it off. This was only slightly frustrating to me because I have done this myself a time or two. Come on people turn off your turn signal when you aren’t using it!
- CUTTING ME OFF WHEN NO ONE IS BEHIND ME – This just pisses me off. People you are so eager to cut me off putting us both in danger when you could have waited 20 seconds for me to pass. Not only is cutting someone off dangerous but its also totally stupid and annoying. I mean realistically all you have to do is wait a few seconds more and then there is tons of space to maneuver since no one is behind me. Come on people there really is no need to cut someone off!
- GOING ONE AT A TIME AT A FOUR WAY STOP – Here is the thing about a four way stop. When the car across from you goes you can go too. I understand that this is a strange concept for some but really if you think about it hard enough it makes perfect sense. Somehow this seems to be the most difficult concept for most. So we sit for ever at a four way stop waiting for cars to go one at a time for absolutely no reason at all other than the fact that no one knows what to do at a four way stop. Come on people it’s a four way stop; not that hard to figure out!
- COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP TO TURN – Now I understand that to turn, slowing down is necessary. I mean it can be hard to maneuver corners, especially when they are tight corners. However coming to a complete stop when there is no traffic coming in the opposite direction is just ridiculous and totally unexpected for the driver behind you. This also goes for those of you who have to come to a complete stop to move over a lane; completely annoying and unnecessary. Really people slow down but don’t come to a complete stop!
- DRIVING WHILE DOING OTHER THINGS - Now this is one of my pet peeves. I mean I understand that we all do this to some extent. Just understand that there is a time and place for everything. Putting on makeup, combing your hair, shaving, brushing teeth those are all things you should do in the bathroom. If you have to do them in your car I suggest pulling over and parking to do them. No matter how talented you think you are at multitasking while driving you are not that skilled. Hands on the steering wheel people!
- SITTING AT GREEN LIGHTS, RUNNING RED LIGHTS – Sometimes I think that some drivers are totally color blind. I have seen so many people who sit and sit at green lights. These people have obviously never driven in New York City. That is definitely grounds for getting the horn. In the same vein running red lights is simply crazy and dangerous and even with the red light cameras that are out and about I still see so many drivers doing this. Ok people green means go and red means stop!
- DRIVING BELOW THE SPEED LIMIT – Speed limits are posted for a reason. Going above the speed limit is not a good thing and the same goes for going below the speed limit. Do not drive 10mph in a 30mph zone, I have places to go and people to see I really don’t want to sit there and stare at your bumper as you putter down the street. So try and speed up a little, I understand if you are lost and trying to find your street otherwise just driving slow to drive slow is not working for me. Come on people drive the speed limit!
- SPEEDING AROUND ME WHEN I AM STOPPED AT A CROSSWALK – So there is a reason why I am stopped at the crosswalk. People are crossing. This happens all the time, so much so that I have come to expect this every time I stop at a crosswalk. I even go so far as to block both lanes if there are two lanes because I know someone will try and pass me while I am stopped at a crosswalk. Crosswalks were made for people to walk across the street watch out for the pedestrians’ people!
I hope that this helps us all to drive a little better. Really it’s just 10 simple rules of the road. Can’t we all just drive together?