Facts About the 1967 Mustang
Mustang Buyers Guide
Mustang 1967-73 Road Test
Ford 1967 Mustangs
Ford's 1967 Mustang received a new body, wider track, more divers rang of engines, and a long list of options. Ford offered a Tilt-Away steering wheel, built in heater/AC, overhead console, Stereo-Sonic tape system, automatic transmission, bench seats, AM/FM radio, speel ontril, and front power disc breadks.
At it's debute, many car enthusiasts claim that the 1967 Mustang was too big and too heavy. But, today, it is probably one of the more revered and sought after vintage cars.
The 67 Mustang did not receive the outcome that Ford had intended, but as you can see, the 67 Mustang models have stuck around. With the 2007 Mustangs, the designers tried to emulate the 67 Mustang ever so slightly.
Even in 1967, cars came with warranty plans, Ford Motor Company created a 3 point plan for ther 1967 Mustangs, which included:
- 5 year or 50,000-mile warranty on car power train, steering, and suspension.
- 2 year or 24,000-mile warranty on the entire car.
- Only one dealer certification per year regardless of how many miles you drive.
1967 Dealer Brochure Cover
Mustang Red Book Editions 2-4
The Mustang Red Book
The Mustang Red Book by Peter C. Sessler was created to help the Mustang enthusiast to determine the authenticity and originalitiy of Mustang Models.
There are actually four different versions of the Red Book, each a little different from the last. Three of the more common Red Books include the second, third, and fourth editions.
- Mustang Red Book Early 1965-1995 features Mustangs of all production models from 1965 through 1995.
- Mustang Red Book 1964 1/2-2000 features Mustangs and Shelby Mustangs between the years 1964 1/2 and 2000.
- Mustang Red Book features Mustang models through 2004.
Many people prefer to have all three editions (even four if you can find the fourth edition) of the Mustand Red Book.
The books not only helps you determine authenticity and originality the the modal sitting in your driveway, but it provides you with helpful facts about Mustand from the earliest model to the most current to the edition.
For exmple, the following facts are excerpts from Mustang Red Book 1964 1/2-2000.
- The most important number in any Mustang is the VIN, or serial number, which from 1965-1980 is an 11-digit number that breaks down the model year, assembly plant, body code, engine code, and consecutive unit number.
- Ford attached a stamped plate, usually under one of the coil hold-down bolts, supplying the engine information.
- There is additional information such as the consecutive unit number and optional codes on a riveted underhood plate. Sometimes the location can vary by car model and year, but you may find it behind the headlights on the radiator support, near the right side hood hinge, or on the sides of the engine compartment.
Mustang Monthly Magazine Subscription
The Mustang Monthly magazine is a great source of information for all Mustang models and years. With each magazine, you'll find different 'How To's' in restoration, historical facts, club directories, show information, and maintenance tips.
The magazine not only features new and upcoming Mustangs, but vintage Mustangs, as well.
1967 Mustang Facts & Figures
65A 2dr Hardtop: 325,853
65B 2dr Hardtop luxury: 22,228
65C 2dr Hardtop bench seats: 8,190
63A 2dr Fastback: 53,651
63B 2dr Fastback luxury: 17,391
76A Convertible: 38,751
76B Convertible luxury: 4,848
76C Convertible bench seats: 1,209
Mustang Serial Numbers
How to read the serial number on your mustang is pretty simple..
7 - Last digit of model year
R - Assembly plant (F-Dearborn, R-San Jose, T-Metuchen)
01 - Plate code for 2dr hardtop (02-fastback, 03-convertible)
C - Engine code
100001 - Consecutive unit number
Location of the serial number:
You will find the serial number stamped on driver's side inner fender panel at notch between shock tower and radiator support. (You're warranty plate is riveted on rear face of driver's door.)
Mustang Engine Codes
T - 200 ci 1V 6 cyl 120 hp
C - 289 ci 2V V-8 200 hp
A - 289 ci 4V V-8 225 hp
K - 289 ci 4V V-8 271 hp
S - 390 ci 4V V-8 320 hp
Approximate Mustang Weights:
- Mustang Hardtop- 2,695 lb. (6-cylinder); 2,885 lb. (V-8)
- Mustang Fastback- 2+ 2, 2,725 lb (6-cylinder); 2,915 lb. (V-8)
- Mustang Convertible-- 2,855 lb. (6-cylinder); 3,045 lb (V-8)
Mustang Steering Gear Ratios
SMB-A - 19.9:1
SMB-B - 16:1
SMB-C - 19.9:1
SMB-D - 19.9:1
SMB-E - 16:1
Mustang Dimensions & Capacities
Height- Convertible 51.6"; Fastback 51.8"; Hardtop 51.6"
Trunk luggage volume (cu.ft.)- Convertible 7.7 (top down); Fastback 5.1 (18.5 with optional rear seat folded down); Hardtop 9.2
Fuel- 17 gallons
Catalog of Mustang ID Numbers
Interior Trim Colors
2A - Black
2B - Blue
2D - Red
2F - Saddle
2G - Ivy Gold
2K - Aqua
2U - Parchment
6A - Black, luxury
6B - Blue, luxury
6D - Red, luxury
6F - Saddle, luxury
6G - Ivy Gold, luxury
6K - Aqua, luxury
6U - Parchment, luxury
4A - Black, bench seat
4U - Parchment, bench seat
7A - Black comfortweave
7U - Parchment comfortweave
5A - Black comfortweave, luxury
5U - Parchment comfortweave, luxury
A - Raven Black
B - Frost Turquoise
D - Acapulco Blue
F - Arcadian Blue
H - Diamond Green
I - Lime Gold
K - Nightmist White
M - Wimbledon White
N - Diamond Blue
Q - Brittany Blue
S - Dusk Rose
T - Candyapple Red
V - Burnt Amber
W - Clearwater Aqua
X - Vintage Burgundy
Y - Dark moss Green
Z - Sauterne Gold
4 - Silver Frost
6 - Pebble Beige
8 - Springtime Yellow
Convertible Top Colors:
Black or White